Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

Default Makeup Routine

I use SunCat's MMU. Having settled on a foundation color, I still have 4 choices of blush, 3 choices of coutour, 4 choices of finishing powder .... and, oh, yeah, some 4 or 5 choices of primer. At this point, I'm not doing all that much with eye makeup, and I'm thinking just about face makeup.

As someone relatively new to the makeup scene, meaning that I've been using it regularly only the past 5 years or so, I'm curious. Other than maybe going a bit darker in the summer months, or more dramatic for evening wear, how much color experimentation do you do?

How do you figure out which lighting to apply it in? My sunny bathroom gives me a look I'm happy with. But that same makeup is much much darker in the fluorescent lighting that I'm in for part of the work day. Then, when I'm under the halogen lighting, it's a different color still. And if I had any incandescent lighting, I'm sure it would be another different color.

I know that there are makeup mirrors with the different lights -- that's not what I'm asking about. How do I figure out how the different lighting will affect the colors to come up with a palette that will look nice, regardless of the lighting?
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #2
feisty redhead
Alluring Beauty

I always apply my makeup in natural lighting - if it looks good in natural light it will *usually* (though of course not always but nine times out of ten) look good anywhere else you may go.

I'm such a makeup junkie... in the past six months I have cleared out a TON of stuff in two major clean-outs and I still have... well I won't go into the numbers but much much much more makeup than any one woman could ever possibly need. All I will say is that I have more than two times the blush you have - and remember that's after cleaning out the stuff twice so it's not as numerous as it once was. And that's *just* blush. Imagine everything else most of which far outnumbers the blush!

I don't go up a shade with foundation in warmer weather like most folks do. Because ultra high SPF sunblock is my bestest friend in the world, as are big brimmed hats and shade. So one shade of foundation is fine for me year round.

I don't really play around with colors as much as I used to. I've kind of reached a point where I'm plenty comfortable with the way I look without any makeup, so most days when I do decide to wear it I choose sheer, light, natural colors. So the end look is something that is me, slightly enhanced, and you'd never know I was wearing makeup if I didn't tell you. I do play with color from time to time just for fun, if I get in the mood for it and have the time to mess around with it. If I am trying something new, or something really bold, I try it when I have NO plans to go anywhere. So if I wind up looking like a clown or just don't like it, I can go wash it off and not worry. That's my only makeup rule: don't experiment if you need to be somewhere!
[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/natredsig.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]

Last edited by feisty redhead : April 26th, 2008 at 05:28 PM.
feisty redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

I'm not one to go darker in the summer, either, though there is someone at work who certainly does so, making her already too dark makeup even more unappealing.

So, natural light is the way to go, huh? I guess that makes sense. I have to admit, when I first began wearing MMU, I was really surprised to see how different the colors looked in fluorescent light -- not bad, necessarily, but darker.

I've noticed, though, that conventional makeup, while it certainly looks different in different lighting, doesn't vary so greatly as MMU. I suppose part of it is the mica.
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #4
jel
Enticing Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raederle
I've noticed, though, that conventional makeup, while it certainly looks different in different lighting, doesn't vary so greatly as MMU. I suppose part of it is the mica.

That's interesting. I didn't really think about it much, I got some eyeshadow samples from the first one or two MMU vendors I tried and I didn't like them. At all! They all had a gold undertone/shine that confused me . I like my colours to stay true, and that's why I use non-mineral stuff on my eyes - mostly MAC, when I think about it. However, for a foundation, concealer or even blush, I love MMU - and am especially happy with SunCat's range.
[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]20"/46"/46"cl[/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

I apply my makeup in natural light and try to get it as true to my natural skin tones as possible. I have learned how to get the coverage I need and keep it looking as natural as possible, so it doesn't look as if I am wearing a mask and looks right in all light. I don't change my foundation shade for the seasons. I stay out of the sun and remain fair all year around. I do like to change up my eye, cheek and lip colours, tho.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Koala Kim
Captivating Beauty

I apply mine in the bathroom, but then go stand in the kitchen by the window to see how it looks.
Guess that's my roundabout way of saying 'natural light'

I don't change my makeup for the summer either. Unless I get burned, or my rosacea is acting up, I pretty much stay the same color year-round.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

I got a compliment from a customer the other day, who said I have beautiful skin. I take that as a makeup compliment, and was suitably grateful. I get excellent coverage from SunCat's MMU, and I think her colors are a better match for my coloring than BE was.

I think that feisty redhead is correct -- that if it's put on in natural light, it will look fine in any other type of light, which seems to be pretty much what Shermie Girl and KK have found.
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #8
medvssa
Raw Beauty

I apply in natural light, I have my vanity (which is also a nice decoration piece... I think ) in the living where there is good light. But I used to do my makeup in the bathroom when I was living in other places. I have chosen colors that match mine, so my base makeup looks the same most of the time (unless I change something in purpose). I often do very bright eyes or lips, and yes for this I prefer natural light. But if the hue is slightly different than I thought, it doesn't bother me too much.
medvssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #9
happylynngilmer
Serene Beauty

I don't wear anything on my face, I only wear eye shadow, eye liner and mascara.
That said, I don't experiment much color-wise. I always use peaches and earth tones. Nothing bright, or too glittery. I do like shimmer, and am known to purchase the same shade of color to have in matte and shimmer LOL

I don't change the colors based on seasons. I wear what I want when I want to wear it. My default is matching my shirt (which I only wear brown, maroon, black, olive green) all colors that I have shadows of. And liners heh.
But sometimes I'll just wear a peachy shade and wear black liner with it. It's easy and will match anything.
Our bathroom is very bright, so I don't really check my make-up in other light. Though one time I wish I did-I was wearing a new color than looked like a light tan, but once I stepped outside, DH informed me it was ORANGE. Not me, at all. And I didn't have time to fix it, I had to wear the orange shade all day. :/
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #10
ilovemycop
Captivating Beauty

I just started to use Almay perfect match foundation.The kind that finds your exact tone.Its great-doesn't look like I have a ton of foundation on.I use Neutrogena Mineral Shimmer for a powder to brighten me up.No blush because I am blush incapable.I look like I have racing stripes on my cheeks when I attempt to use it.
Eyes-wise I use a tan base shade blended to the brow bone,a lighter green color to accent my green eyes and brown-black mascara.I sometime use a raison colored eye liner but not always.I also like a shimmery pink color with black mascara,brings out my green wonderfully as well.I use the pink in daytime and the green at night.When I do apply the green,it comes out looking smokey and intense.Much more suitable for nighttime lightening

[CENTER]:star:Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights :star:[/CENTER]

[/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=magenta]:frog:The LHC'er known as Patrycja :frog:[/COLOR][/CENTER]
ilovemycop is offline   Reply With Quote