Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Dulci
Alluring Beauty
 
Dulci's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet1
I need to find someone to go shopping with me who'll slap my hands if I keep trying on black things. (The problem is most of my friends are, if not goth, at least fairly into the goth aesthetic, so they're all for the black. I don't think they quite understand the 'boredom' issue.)

I'm planning on visiting some outlet store type places when I'm in the US next month, so hopefully I'll find some good things there. I suppose what I'm trying to do at the moment is a mental exercise as much as anything- try to get myself thinking outside my habits so when I do go shopping I don't restrict myself to the same old things.

ohoh, I'd love to go shopping with you! Let me know if you are coming to Austin, Teacherbear and I will take you to the outlet malls and shop your shoes off. We got her a whole new wardrobe last summer after she lost a lot of weight and needed new work clothes, we did a great job.

One thing I am working on for myself is trying on things that I don't even like on the hanger, I've been surprised a few times and loved it!
Dulci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #12
Abanilla_Surfer
Dazzling Beauty
 
Abanilla_Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 2006
Location: Spain
Age: 44
Posts: 139
Default

Have you ever watched What Not to Wear? They have lots of advice for different body shapes and problem areas. They have a couple of books from the series that you might be able to get at the library.

It's important to try things on. You won't know how it looks on you until you see it. Don't ignore stuff, try everything. Don't rely on shopkeepers for advice - they want you to buy stuff and that's it.

Maybe buy a couple of goth pieces that you can wear for special occasions (a corest and unusual skirt would look great for a party or trip to a restaurant) and try more mainstream versions for everyday. A nice pair of bootleg trousers and a blouse, T-shirt or sweater is a comfortable basic outfit that can be dressed up or down with accessories (think trainers or heels? funky belt or classy jewelry?) You could get a dark-coloured suit in a great style and wear different tops depending on your mood.

Be wary of buying lots of things because you want a certain image and then reverting to the jogging pants you're used to because they're comfortable. Try and be practical with your decisions and check care instructions.

Don't forget if you are wearing different colours your makeup will probably need an overhaul too.

Oh, and have fun. I always find that when I hit the store with cash there is nothing I want and when I'm strapped there's loads that catches my eye. Do be discouraged if you can't find everything your first trip out. Set yourself a monthly budget and go shopping often!
__________________
[COLOR=plum][/COLOR]
Abanilla_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #13
quiet1
Raw Beauty
 
Join Date: June 2006
Age: 40
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanilla_Surfer
Have you ever watched What Not to Wear? They have lots of advice for different body shapes and problem areas. They have a couple of books from the series that you might be able to get at the library.

It's important to try things on. You won't know how it looks on you until you see it. Don't ignore stuff, try everything. Don't rely on shopkeepers for advice - they want you to buy stuff and that's it.

Maybe buy a couple of goth pieces that you can wear for special occasions (a corest and unusual skirt would look great for a party or trip to a restaurant) and try more mainstream versions for everyday. A nice pair of bootleg trousers and a blouse, T-shirt or sweater is a comfortable basic outfit that can be dressed up or down with accessories (think trainers or heels? funky belt or classy jewelry?) You could get a dark-coloured suit in a great style and wear different tops depending on your mood.

Be wary of buying lots of things because you want a certain image and then reverting to the jogging pants you're used to because they're comfortable. Try and be practical with your decisions and check care instructions.

Don't forget if you are wearing different colours your makeup will probably need an overhaul too.

Oh, and have fun. I always find that when I hit the store with cash there is nothing I want and when I'm strapped there's loads that catches my eye. Do be discouraged if you can't find everything your first trip out. Set yourself a monthly budget and go shopping often!

I do have one of the What Not To Wear books (well, the UK show version, I've never seen the US version) but most of the advice regarding silhouettes and so on is stuff I'd already figured out. (Things like if you're very busty, high necklines just make you look bigger in a Bad Way, and wrap tops are Good, for example. )

I'm trying to figure out my makeup, too, so at least I can do a full overhaul all at once. (I keep meaning to find some pink eyeshadow to try, as I've seen it make blue eyes look FABULOUS if done right, and it's not too obvious.)

I am most concerned with the issue you mentioned of buying things and then ending up wearing just jogging pants all the time anyway- I'm going to try to remember that comfort is important. (And I'm also planning on buying some items which are a bit nicer than sweatpants but still mainly around the house wear, so I can be comfy while I'm kicking around the house but still not look like a slob if I have to run out to the store or something.)

The trouble I seem to be having is really taking all the things I know and pulling them together into some kind of vision for what I want, so I don't end up buying lots of things where none of them go together, or alternatively defaulting to buying black everything because it's easier than deciding on colours.
quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #14
eiyela
Captivating Beauty
 
eiyela's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sweden
Age: 32
Posts: 312
Default

Try putting a list together for yourself before you go on your big shopping spree. That will keep you from getting confused or lazy. I think you've gotten some good advice here so far (I personally love the UK version WNTW body checker thingamajig too ), so maybe start with those and add whatever comes to mind for the next week or so?
__________________
Love me, love my cats.:kitty: Just graduated High School! [SIZE=1](Sjungom studentens lyckliga dar...:parp:)[/SIZE]
eiyela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #15
Abanilla_Surfer
Dazzling Beauty
 
Abanilla_Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 2006
Location: Spain
Age: 44
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet1
The trouble I seem to be having is really taking all the things I know and pulling them together into some kind of vision for what I want, so I don't end up buying lots of things where none of them go together, or alternatively defaulting to buying black everything because it's easier than deciding on colours.

I have this problem too. I have several differnt "looks" depending on my mood, the weather, the laundry basket....

That said, I think you should concentrate on what celebrity styles you like. I always think Jennifer Aniston looks great most of the time. I like clean lines and neutral colours. I also like natural looking makeup. Catherine on CSI Las Vegas always looks well put together. I have others but can't think now. Who always looks good to you? Why? Can you copy them? Stand in the shop and think "Can I see (star's name here) wearing this?" Pick a group for everyday and a group for evening wear. You often come up with completely different names.

My red carpet list would be Catherine Zeta-Jones, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez. But I certainly wouldn't go out in J-Lo's daywear. (I'm not dissing her, it's just not me.)

You also have to make your mind up that you are not leaving the house in jog pants. Even if it means a quick change before you go. Promise yourself. I have loads of pants & sweaters that I mix & match for work and home. Being part-time means I have to be smart enough for the office and comfy enough to play at the park with the children. Daywear for me has to work in both those situations, if it doesn't I walk away.
__________________
[COLOR=plum][/COLOR]
Abanilla_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #16
quiet1
Raw Beauty
 
Join Date: June 2006
Age: 40
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanilla_Surfer
That said, I think you should concentrate on what celebrity styles you like. I always think Jennifer Aniston looks great most of the time. I like clean lines and neutral colours. I also like natural looking makeup. Catherine on CSI Las Vegas always looks well put together. I have others but can't think now. Who always looks good to you? Why? Can you copy them? Stand in the shop and think "Can I see (star's name here) wearing this?" Pick a group for everyday and a group for evening wear. You often come up with completely different names.

You also have to make your mind up that you are not leaving the house in jog pants. Even if it means a quick change before you go. Promise yourself. I have loads of pants & sweaters that I mix & match for work and home. Being part-time means I have to be smart enough for the office and comfy enough to play at the park with the children. Daywear for me has to work in both those situations, if it doesn't I walk away.

That's a good idea, about celebrities. Though I don't watch tv that much these days, so I'm not sure what people are out and about in (except the ones who get splashed on the front of tabloid magazines that you see while you're in line at the supermarket, but I'm not sure I want to emulate any of them. *G*) do you know of any good websites for seeing what celebs are wearing? (I know awards show-wear is relatively easy to find, but not so much normal stuff.)

I'm definitely trying to break myself of the habit of slouching around in effectively pyjamas all day (sweatpants, pyjama-style trousers, tshirts, etc.) when I'm not expecting to leave the house, because I'm sure it's bad for my mental health and encourages me to be lazy. Though at the moment almost everything looks a little sloppy and baggy on me, due to weight loss. Argh! (Then again, this is why I'm planning on shopping soon, and thus debating these things. )
quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #17
Abanilla_Surfer
Dazzling Beauty
 
Abanilla_Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 2006
Location: Spain
Age: 44
Posts: 139
Default

You must have lost loads of weight for all your clothes to be so big on you. You should start a thread with some tips for the rest of us. I don't know of any sites offhand but I will certainly have a look and let you know if I find any.
__________________
[COLOR=plum][/COLOR]
Abanilla_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #18
quiet1
Raw Beauty
 
Join Date: June 2006
Age: 40
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abanilla_Surfer
You must have lost loads of weight for all your clothes to be so big on you. You should start a thread with some tips for the rest of us. I don't know of any sites offhand but I will certainly have a look and let you know if I find any.

About 30 lbs. so far. 10-20 to go. (At this point I'm more going by what's comfortable and maintainable for me, rather than a fixed weight goal.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure how it happened- the only significant change I've made to my eating habits has been cutting out soda almost completely. (I allow myself one single serving bottle as a treat maybe every 2-3 weeks, but that's it.)

Other than that, I try to eat sensibly- I frequently have a salad-with-grilled-meat for dinner, or something like that, with lots of vegetables, but nothing dramatic.
quiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #19
Rose_Red
Raw Beauty
 
Rose_Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 30
Default

I went through my full-on goth phase quite a few years back, and have never grown out of a lot of it The corsets and boots in my wardrobe will attest to that!

However, I've also toned down what I wear a lot. Partially out of laziness And partially out of actually wanting to be comfortable sometimes!

My basic style is this: long flowing skirts, boots or mary jane style shoes, and fitted tops. Add a velvet jacket if it's cool.

I've actually tended to veer a lot from my personal style over the last year or so - mainly because I gained a lot of weight (for me) and I've been more into hiding in nondescript jeans and baggy shirts. I'm determined to get "me" back again - both weight and style wise.
Rose_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #20
summer-time
Radiant Beauty
 
Join Date: June 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 201
Default

Quiet1, I hope all is well with you


I don't think there's a certain goth attire/style that all goths need to follow. Imho its whatever the individual likes. I myself love dark colors with black as my staple , I wear alot of jeans and tops. I'm trying to incorporate my casual dress/skirts into my closet but I'm picky about my clothes.
__________________
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
summer-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fashion vs Style wavebaby Fashion! 29 October 22nd, 2006 12:10 PM
How to Achieve this Style? Lisa2b Hair Care & Styling 8 June 16th, 2006 09:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin.
© 2015 The Beauty Bottle, LLC