Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

Default Shoe Dilemma: cute vs orthotics

I recently got custom orthotics from my podiatrist. My feet feel good wearing them, but I can't fathom how I am going to wear them (or have comofrtable feet) in the summer. I am currently wearing closed toed shoes. It is getting to be time to move on to sandles. Help!

What do I do? I am so sad to think of the prospect of a Texas summer in closed toed or butt-ugly shoes!
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

Hmmm, my sister is able to wear her orthotics with sandals. Hers are just like an innersole. Granted, she doesn't wear them with flip flop type sandals; she can't move her left foot enough to hold that type of sandals on. But regular ones are not a problem.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Teacherbear

Hmm, maybe I'll have to get more use to them. I've only had them for a week. One of the big problems is that I pronate, so the orthotic is built up more on the inner heel to roll my ankle out. If I wear anything but a flat I'll roll right out of the shoes (and probably sprain my ankle).

I really, really, REALLY like my high heeled wedges for summer. I think those are out of the question. : pout:
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Raederle
Luxe Beauty

Ah the heel. I'm pretty sure you just have to kind of work up to that. IIRC, she went through a bit of a learning curve, though she doesn't wear much of a heel, it is more than the simple flat sandal.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

My thoughts, as someone who has orthotics. Cute and orthotics usually don't mix well. Most cute shoes won't accommodate them, but I've found cute shoes that do. Check out Keen shoes. They have a removable insole, which leaves plenty of room for your orthotics. I love them and want more.

Sandals and orthotics usually don't jive. I have Good Feet orthotics, and they say you can wear them with sandals, but they're only 3/4 length and they hurt the ball of my foot unless I have socks on.

I'll still wear my sandals, but not as much. If I'm going to be on my feet a lot, I need my orthotics, but if it is only for a few hours, I'll willingly go without and wear my cute shoes.
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Teacherbear

Thanks, Kim. Some of those would do for casual. I need to find some dressier sandals, too.
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Tabitha
Natural Beauty

I don't wear orthotics, but I have a back problem (fractured vertebra) that means I can't wear heels and also very soft/sensitive skin that is extremely prone to blistering. Added to that rather "flat" heels, not very rounded so that slingbacks tend to fall down on me, and you have not much choice for sandals (in winter, spring and autumn I live in trainers (sneakers) or flat boots).

I discovered a make called Josef Seibel last year. Many of them fasten with Velcro on the heel and the ankle/top of the foot meaning you can tailor them to your foot exactly. They weren't the most stylish but I bought a pair because I can actually wear them to walk to the supermarket and back without being in agony. Imagine my chagrin however when I discovered that my MOTHER had exactly the same pair of sandals. She's not a trendy young mum, she's a granny with a sensible grey haircut.
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #8
strwbrry dakri
Untouched Beauty

I have a friend who has Birkenstocks that were customized for her. Expensive, but maybe worth checking into...
strwbrry dakri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Teacherbear

I like some of those Josef Seibel's at Zappos! I linked just to the sandals. The problem is that the orthotic will show (exposed because of no heel-cup . . . but I might be able to live with that! Perhaps I can paint the sides of the orthotics and put some velcro on the bottom to hold the orthotic in place. Maybe that'll work!
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Tabitha
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherbear
I like some of those Josef Seibel's at Zappos! I linked just to the sandals. The problem is that the orthotic will show (exposed because of no heel-cup . . . but I might be able to live with that! Perhaps I can paint the sides of the orthotics and put some velcro on the bottom to hold the orthotic in place. Maybe that'll work!

That's them! Mine are the Adelle. The Velcro fastening on both straps really makes a difference to the fit, and the insole is nice and cushioned (for those who don't have orthotics). Sexy they ain't, though
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote