Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 18th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Default Sugar and Carb cravings-Help!!

Right now I can kick myself and Im feeling pretty low about my weight and nutrition. I am usually pretty fit and I have always prided myself in my food choices. Well Im in a rut-a huge rut. I have seasonal depression and for some reason every year starting around August my appetite increases and my guard is down and I eat bad. This will not end until I get it under control.

I crave sugar and carbs like a crack addict craves crack. I have to get this under control because I have already ruined alot of my hard work and dedication toward a healthy thinner me and I dont want to ruin in completely!

Does anyone have anything that will control sugar and carb cravings? Heck man-appetite too. I need something that really works too. Drinking a glass of water instead of eating a cookie isnt going to do it. I know how to eat healthy and I know all the healthy snacks to eat. I need something to really help the sugar and carb cravings. I am going to buy some chromium and saffron extract which are suppose to help with this. But I would like more options.

It can be all natural or not-I dont care. I just want something that works. Thanks!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
violet
Raw Beauty

spookyghost, are you getting enough saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in your diet, especially polyunsaturated fats? They can help you feel satisfied and less likely to overeat. Whenever I feel the need for something decadent like chocolate or chips I grab a handful of nuts, my favorite are cashews, the salted kind. This cures my craving for something salty and crunchy. I usually have a small glass of juice, maybe 4 ounces, right after and this helps with my sweet craving. I buy the pure, not concentrated orange juice with lots of pulp. Of course, moderation is key, but it really works for me.

Last edited by violet : October 18th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I get along better if I eat something fairly substantial, instead of snacking.

Half a sandwich, a cup of soup, a measured serving of leftover whatever, etc. Something that seems almost like a meal, but isn't one.

Also, I like to drink lowfat chocolate milk and lowfat strawberry kefir as a snack. Sure, carbs, but they also have protein, and at least a little fat, which I think helps keep the appetite better regulated.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #4
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Violet and Delila-Thanks for the suggestions. I love cashews and I have never really thought about juice-not from concentrate. Ds loves the kind with pulp-xtra pulp to be exact. That actually might work. A few cashews with a little juice. That has potential!

And going for that snack that seems like a mini-meal isnt a bad idea either. One slice of multigrain bread that I already have in the house is 35 calories and add just a little all natural peanut butter, which I already have, and that is a little heartier snack.

Very good ideas ladies!

When I was at my favorite vitamin store I picked up some vitamin d-3 5000 iu, some chromium picolinate, and saffron extract. I know the employees at this store. They are really into health and helping people so I trust them. The one lady who works there suggested the vitamin d for seasonal depression, which I have had for years and years. But it also helps with weight issues and cravings. She said that another one of her frequent customers was taking two of the 5000 iu's a day and her belly fat and love handles are decreasing alot. And she is swearing by this. So the employee who is having a hard time getting rid of her belly, no matter what she does, decided to try it. And she said that within about three weeks she has noticed her stomach is definatley smaller and her love handles are getting smaller. She said she would never have believed that d-3 would do that because she has been taking it for years for her seasonal depression and she was still having a belly fat issue. But once she increase her dose it is working. So of course I was sold and bought some!

The saffron extract I bought is suppose to help with energy/menatl aletness-which I need big time, neurological support, weight management, mood enhancement, and stress relief. And if it doesnt actually help with the cravings who the heck cares-I need everything else listed too! Haha. I do care if it helps with my cravings but I would love all that extra help it claims to give. We'll see.
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Delila
Enticing Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyghost

And going for that snack that seems like a mini-meal isnt a bad idea either. One slice of multigrain bread that I already have in the house is 35 calories and add just a little all natural peanut butter, which I already have, and that is a little heartier snack.

Yeah, that kind of thing really does slow me down when I'm on an 'eat everything' ramble through the kitchen. A bit of something sweet added to the peanut butter wouldn't be evil, either, I find it helps. (I tend to prefer peanut butter and honey, mixed together, makes the peanut butter easier to spread. The texture goes all wonky when you try to mix them together ahead of time and keep it available, which strikes me as kind of sad.)

I don't actually binge at all, it just seems sometimes as though nothing satisfies unless I eat something that's got a range of nutrients (proteins, carbs, fat, fiber) Most snack-y stuff doesn't manage that for me, so I'm better off eating something else. (Though I do give in.)
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Velvettt
Dazzling Beauty

I'm going to freak you out and deny everything you've been told. Things are changing in the nutritional world, with a growing wave of people tossing out the ideas of polyunsaturated fats, lowfat, low cholesterol. More and more info is coming to light that none of those things are healthy. Our great grandparents had much better ideas of what to eat to stay healthy!

I'm going to advise you to eat some whole fats to slow down your carb cravings. Sugar/carb cravings are frequently a sign that your body needs fat. Real fat! Do you like avocadoes? If you do, eat an avocado every day. Try NOT eating any grains, no whole wheat anything. If you can eat eggs, have eggs every day, preferably cooked in coconut oil. Coconut oil is extremely good for you and helps with weight loss and appetite control. Give it a try for a couple of days.

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/Velvettts/bsacv3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/Velvettts/nails1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/Velvettts/hairslide.jpg[/IMG]
Velvettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvettt
I'm going to freak you out and deny everything you've been told. Things are changing in the nutritional world, with a growing wave of people tossing out the ideas of polyunsaturated fats, lowfat, low cholesterol. More and more info is coming to light that none of those things are healthy. Our great grandparents had much better ideas of what to eat to stay healthy!

I'm going to advise you to eat some whole fats to slow down your carb cravings. Sugar/carb cravings are frequently a sign that your body needs fat. Real fat! Do you like avocadoes? If you do, eat an avocado every day. Try NOT eating any grains, no whole wheat anything. If you can eat eggs, have eggs every day, preferably cooked in coconut oil. Coconut oil is extremely good for you and helps with weight loss and appetite control. Give it a try for a couple of days.

I love eggs so that works for me and I never thought about cooking it with coconut oil. I would just spray the pan with a not-stick spray. My breakfast would consist of, if I eat breakfast, one whole egg and on egg white.

Unfortunately I hate avocados. I wish I like them. Like I wish I liked zucchini, squash, egg plant, and cottage cheese! All of those are in healthy recipes all the time and I hate them
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Katze
Dazzling Beauty

In addition to the fats suggestion, I would also highly recommend protein. Whenever I've gotten advice about sugar and carb cravings, it has always been to eat a snack or small meal with protein. Meat, nuts, tofu, fake meat, protein bars, even a protein shake...these all do the job for me and I try to have something snackable in the house.

It sounds like your body isn't getting enough of something. When I had this, it was truly because my body craved energy (and carbs are quick energy, that's why we crave them) but really needed protein and fat. Starvation or ignoring never worked for me - it just made the hunger worse, until I got shaky, irritable, muscle pain, etc.

At the moment I am pregnant so my weird food needs are even more severe - the other day I had tortellini for dinner, and woke up hungry in the night - body didn't have what it needed to keep me asleep! When I eat meat, or tofu, for dinner and less refined grains (whole grain pasta is almost impossible to find here) then I feel better and sleep better. If I eat any sugar at all (craving it or no) my body rebels, forcing me to eat more that day.

I do best with lots of veggies, oatmeal with fruit and nuts for breakfast, protein with every meal and every snack. Doing so has pretty much eliminated these kinds of cravings.
Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #9
jeannie t
Untouched Beauty

I'm a total sugar addict, but I had a gallbladder attack a week ago and since I want to keep the little booger I have to be really careful with my diet, especially with refined foods. So I'm trying to limit my refined sugar consumption considerably. Nuts are a good option (but I have to limit those at this point too), and dried fruit helps as well. I need to eat as much fiber as I can, so the dried fruit helps with that, too. My biggest carb issue is with pasta--love pasta!--but I'm just trying to limit that. Usually I have veggies with protein before anything else, and then I'm full enough that I don't want much.
jeannie t is offline   Reply With Quote