Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Movin' It
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #1
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Huh The (running shoe) search is on!

I've now received my books (Chi Running by Dryer, and The Courage To Start by Baldwin) and Baldwin's book is the one I've gotten the farther into, but he is quite vague about shoe-choice. I don't see anything that hints at shoe-choice in Chi Running just yet.

I've heard both: that you need good support in a running shoe, and that you need NOTHING in a running shoe (barefoot, or even just a thin-soled pair) and the reason behind the "less is more" idea is that all that PADDING just delays your own foot's (and tendons'/muscles') reaction-time, thereby increasing the impact your non-bracing foot absorbs. I think that makes a lot of sense, actually. But I'm still old-school (heck, FORTY THREE is breathing down my neck as we speak, EVERYTHING about me is 'old school'!) and there's a big part of me that thinks you have to have a good pair of Nikes if you're going to be running.

So: what do I do? I just bought two pair of really comfy and really arch-supportive Saucony running shoes today for aerobics classes, and am thinking that I need to get some shoes for running for when I start that up. (both pair were on clearance for only thirty bucks a pair; I got a good bargain on them! I ONLY wear my aerobics shoes for aerobics classes -- their soles never touch the outside of a building until I've worn them for six months and it's time to replace them. THEN they get relegated to "kickin' around the farm shoes". My running shoes -- whatever they may be -- will be the same: ONLY used for running, not for daily-wear.)

I want to hear all the angles, and what you think and why. I do not overpronate nor supinate. My shoes show wear evenly all along the sole, with the MINOR exception of a BIT more rubbing on the outside rear heel, as that's what touches-down first (From what I read, that's normal and to-be-expected).

ANy and all help will be gratefully accepted and mulled-over as I begin to look. I'm a horrible shoe-shopper (the fate of the free world rests on my shoe-decision, doncha know? If I get the wrong shoes, it's just a TRAVESTY of global proportions! Seriously: I'm anal about choosing my shoes. I've bought SO MANY shoes only to take them home and put them on in the house and say "How could I not feel this thing jabbing me in the (pick a part of my foot) when I was in the store? I can't wear these; they'll drive me NUTS!" My standard MO is to go and look, pick a few that I like, then go back once or twice more to try those favorites on AGAIN, so I know that I KNOW that I know that they'll work for me. I'm a royal PITA for the shoe man...

Thanks so much!
LisaJ

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]

Last edited by LisaJaney : June 16th, 2006 at 09:04 PM.
LisaJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Snow White
Untouched Beauty

My chiropractor says that New Balance are a good shoe. I got a walking pair for, you guessed it, walking. I really like them. I have long narrow feet and these fit me very well. I'm not a runner though so I don't know what their running shoes are like.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #3
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

I tried on some of their running shoes today and they did feel good. They are wider in the toe-box, and that's really comfy to me. I'm so used to Birkenstocks and Danskos and such. I swear: if Birk made a running shoe, I'd buy it! (well, if it were comfy. I tried on one of their loafers and it hit my outside-ankle-bone and just drove me NUTS)

:chicken: [SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Nops and a banana-hammock. Woot! :chicken:

[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=1][COLOR=Pink][URL="http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showpost.php?p=5692&postcount=53"]Deodorant recipes, for the ladies...[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #4
physicschick
Alluring Beauty

Not that you should listen to me, since I apparently have lifelong chronic ankle problems triggered by running, but here's what I did... I went to a local running store that had good customer service. We talked about what I wanted, and the employee who served me was extremely helpful. They had a long empty hallway for customers to run in. He watched me run in my sneakers so he could see whether my foot supinates or pronates (tilts outward or inward). Then we tried on a zillion shoes. The ones that felt kind of okay, he had me run down the hallway in to see how they worked for me. I probably paid extra for the customer service, but I think the shoes I bought were the best suited I could possibly get for my type of foot problems.

--physicschick
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #5
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

Oh my gosh, that sounds WONDERFUL, physics! We have NOTHING like that (knowlegable staff at a shoe-store) in our town; maybe I oughtta go to Spokane for this? In the two stores I've been to (best and widest selection) the kids who help are very VERY young and prefer to stand and chat with co-workers about dates and girlfriends, rather than dispense advice on shoes. Perhaps it was best that way, though, really...

[/CENTER]
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Caldonia Sun
Natural Beauty

Nothing too informative here, but FWIW, my chiropractor (40's & a woman) recommends Saucony. She is a runner. The topic came up because she noticed I wear Saucony and thought I may be a runner, too.

Caldonia
Caldonia Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #7
LisaJaney
DS Moderator

I sure do LOVE the two pair I bought today -- they were far-and-away the most comfy. I tried them on with the idea of "jumping on and off that friggin STEP" in my head...

[/CENTER]
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #8
Ursula
Dazzling Beauty

I agree with Physicschick, an old-fashioned full-service shoe store is worth every penny spent there. (I used to go to Grassroots, but they closed. Now I have to make do with Uneeda Birkenstock.)

You said you had two pairs of sneakers you bought for aerobics. What about using one pair for aerobics, and one for running? You have them, you are familiar with the style, you are comfortable with the fit, and the will certainly do you good for a few months. Spend that time finding out if you like running, and shopping and trying on shoes so you can take your time finding the next pair, rather than rushing to get one just so you can get started.

I have wierd shaped feet, and a horrible time buying shoes. I've bought the exact same sneakers since I was 15. I've certainly tried on others, but they are the only ones that fit well. If Reebock ever stops making the "Classic 1000" style, I may just have to kill myself.
[I]Wavy hair is like looking at nature. You look out your window into the woods, and every day, every hour, it is different, but it is always the same, and always lovely, no matter which way it is looking. You don't control it, but you appriciate it for what it is, and if it wasn't constantly changing, it wouldn't be nature.[/I]
Ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #9
Nastasska
Enticing Beauty

Location: On the day of the dead when the year too dies must the youngest open the oldest hills

Just want to wish you luck I am hopeless at running I once came third in a race of three people
Nastasska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #10
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

How does one find a good runnning shoe store? I'm going to need new shoes soon, and I figure I might as well get good ones, now that my feet have stopped growing. I know there's not one in my town, so I want to look in a larger city, I just don't know how to find one.