Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #1
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Default Shoes for problem feet

I have high arches, bunions and Morton's toe (long second toe). The combination of makes shoe shopping a special kind of torture

I'm looking for AFFORDABLE shoes that have good support, are cute, and won't kill my feet. A tough order to fill, but I can't afford the pricier shoes. $60-$75 is the max I can pay for a pair of shoes.

I've tried Danskos, but honestly, I don't find them comfortable. In fact, I'm selling two of the three pair I own. I'm keeping the sandals and may sell them closer to summer, depending on how they feel after wearing them around the house a bit.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

Wow, I love Dansko's, they're my new favorites. Well, how about Earth Shoes? I like the karma ones. Birkenstocks are also great. Crocs, cheap and comfortable.

Unfortunately, good shoes are pricey--there's not much you can do about that. How about just one pair of good ones? That's what I generally do. I have bad feet, so I feel for you.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Altocumulus
Raw Beauty

Are your feet wide or narrow? Mine are wide, with high arches and narrow heels...they look like swim fins. I like Danskos, but I also find Merrell and Keen work well for me. The occasional pair of Clarks or Naots is ok too, but they tend to be too narrow for me - if you have narrow feet they might work for you. Crocs are so comfortable that I ignore how hideous they are and wear them all summer.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Veronica
Sparkling Beauty

Kimberlily, I think we have the same feet! I also have very LONG toes but small feet, so arches don't always line up correctly.

I've had very good luck with Merrells, especially the Belluna sandal. Borns are good if the arch hits at the right spot. I just got some Skechers, I'll see how those work. I have quite a few Diesel tennies- some are better than others. Nike Rifts are good, too. Separation of the big toe from the rest of the toes is helpful.
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Mmmkay. I hate crocs. With a burning passion. So I'm not getting those

Shell, I love the styles of Dansko shoes, but I need a 42, and they are so clunky that I look like I've got clown shoes on. The dressier styles that I'm also drawn to tend to be too narrow.

When I got my orthotics, the foot dude told me I put too much of my weight on my heels, so he said I should stay away from Earth shoes.

Altocumulus, my feet are slightly wider than the average woman's. I used to be able to get away with it, but the bunion on my right foot is getting pretty painful, and now I can't even wear my old Aeorsoles loafers, which are made from a very soft leather, without pain. I wore them to walk DD to school this morning, and my foot hurt the entire way there.

I haven't seen manty styles of Clark's that I like. I'll have to check out Keen, Merrell and Born. I tried some Born shoes a while back but they were too narrow and made my bunion hurt immediately. Veronica, do you know if they come in wider widths?
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Medievalsilver
Dazzling Beauty

I agree with Veronica. I have two pairs of Merrells, and I love wearing them. I would also would recomend Medieval Moccasins:
www.medievalmoccasins.com they are very comfortable and you add arch supports to them.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Those are cute, Medievalsilver, but would only go with one outfit in my wardrobe
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Medievalsilver
Dazzling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlily
Those are cute, Medievalsilver, but would only go with one outfit in my wardrobe

I wear mine with everything, I got the green pair.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Islandgrrl
Enticing Beauty

I have sort of problem feet too. Really long toes (2nd & 3rd are longer than my big toe), little feet with a wide forefoot and narrow heel (ugh) - I'm 5'9" and only wear a size 7.5.

I know you said you can't do Dansko (they seem to be the very best for my foot, and just about the only thing I wear anymore other than my running shoes), and that's unfortunate because they're reasonably affordable if you can find them on sale.

A couple of brands I've tried with success are Haflinger (they make awesome felted clogs - kind of on the wide side; Rieker - had a pair of slides that I wore until I wore them totally out; Josef Siebel - really, really, really comfy shoes even if they are not the most attractive; my guilty pleasure: a pair of Cydwoq's my aunt gave me because they hurt her feet (not mine!)(and NOT cheap).

I discovered a long, long time ago that buying cheap shoes is just not ever going to work for me. On the other hand, a pair of Dansko clogs (at anywhere from $95 to $120) lasts me at least 5 years before they need replacing. So I can't complain too much.

Good luck!

[SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue]Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' [B]don't[/B] say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=olive]"No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Islandgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #10
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

Kimberlily, you mention orthotics, are they the kind made especially for your foot by a podiatrist?

I ask because my doc told me to do that, but I went instead to a store called "Good Feet" because they make orthotics that correct the problem, not just support the current foot/arch shape, if that makes sense. I loved mine, and wore them all of the time. My feet are so much better now, that I only wear them if I have a serious problem (once every few years).

Everyone I know with custom supports just keeps getting worse.

I don't know if this would apply to or help you, I just thought I'd mention my experience.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote