Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #11
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

http://www.grainfreeliving.com/

lots of people eliminate grains for health reasons, grains are NOT a necessary component of every person's diet. there's general info in the above link.

http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=45

I found this and this is a good representation of what I've been doing already, minus #1-exclusion of grains.

"I suggest the following CHEK Points to improve your health and vitality:
  1. Before entertaining consumption of grain foods, always exclude all grains except corn, rice, buckwheat and millet for two weeks. If you feel a noticeable improvement in your health and well-being, you are probably gluten intolerant. When you start eating grain foods again after two weeks off, start slowly and eat only one grain food to minimize the possibility of a potentially uncomfortable reaction by the body; diarrhea and stomach pain is common among those that are gluten intolerant!
  2. MINIMIZE all consumption of commercial, processed grains and grain-based products.
  3. If you plan to eat any grains at all, restrict yourself to organic, unprocessed corn, rice, buckwheat or millet, rotating them on a four-day cycle. Only eat them after they have been presoaked for at least 12 hours to break down the phytic acid.
  4. If you enjoy grain based breakfast cereals, purchase only whole organic grains, soak or sprout and make your own breakfast cereals. There are a few companies that make reasonable boxed breakfast cereals, although my suggestion is to stay away from any processed, cooked grain products what so ever!
  5. If you enjoy bread, buy only sprouted whole-grain breads that contain no additives or preservatives. Use the above cereal guidelines to choose your breads and determine if you are gluten intolerant.
  6. Avoid any conventionally prepared pasta. Purchase only organic rice pasta or gluten-free pasta if you are gluten intolerant. Pasta is considered to be one of the foods most heavily laden with pesticide residues!
  7. Apply the soaking principle to all seeds and nuts. Pour the water off the nuts and replace it each day. Keep refrigerated while storing once soaked.
  8. Never eat more grain-based foods than ideal for your metabolic type with regard to how much carbohydrate you should be eating.
*** Dr. Swarzbien has info in her books on determing your individual carb need. Mine is very low, so a serving size per meal would amount to 1/3 cup. I've tried this, but the elimination diet is much much easier to do. Grains are addicting and I think I need to just go cold turkey.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...-14-1999a.html

the above talks about meat in the diet of early humans. quote: " It was this new meat diet, full of densely-packed nutrients, that provided the catalyst for human evolution, particularly the growth of the brain, said Katharine Milton, an authority on primate diet." A diet high in minerals is what I'm going for here. Grains contain phytates which can negatively affect mineral absorbtion.

http://www.eatrightforyourmetabolism.com/excerpt.htm

"Most people are either red meat eaters or grain eaters, that is, they either have more enzymes for digesting red meat or more enzymes for digesting grains, chicken, and fish."

"The unfounded advice of so many diets, namely, that red meat and butter should be eaten sparingly, or not at all, doesn’t take into consideration either their high nutrient
value or the fact that the meat of four-legged animals, particularly beef, is the traditional fare of the many people in this country who are descended from the early colonists -- many of whom were from the British Isles."

My ancestor's diet was based on meat and dairy. Some people feel fine on a grain based diet, but not me. I've been eating "healthy" whole grains for a long time now and they still have the same negative effect on me. After 4-6 weeks of a total elimination, I'll be adding foods back in in small amounts and see how I react to each one. Hopefully I'll find a balance that works for me. But getting away from the grain-based diet and towards a more meat/vegetable based diet is my long-term goal.

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 17th, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
cutastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #12
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

Breakfast:
two apples, a couple TBSP (ok maybe more than a couple ) sunflower seed butter
1.5 cups coffee w half-half

Lunch:
2 eggs, and 2 cups of stir fry veggies (broccoli, peppers, carrots, mushroom, onions), cooked in 1 Tbsp butter, 1/4 cup tomato-basil feta cheese, and 1/4 cup grana padano cheese mixed in

Supper:
roasted duck
orange juice
Omega oil, cod liver oil

Felt pretty good today.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #13
jel
Enticing Beauty

Your challenge looks quite interesting, Cutastrophe. I also have problems with insulin (PCOS) and have tried low-carb eating before. I wonder if I should try a month-long grain free diet too - not that I eat many natural grains, LOL! It's the baked goods and pasta that are my downfall...

Have you noticed any particular benefits/improvements since you started this?
[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]20"/46"/46"cl[/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #14
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel

Have you noticed any particular benefits/improvements since you started this?

I think it's still too early, I've read that you start to see the effects after 4 weeks and more significant results after 6 weeks. But so far I feel good. Digestion is good and skin is good (no new outbreaks). I'm amazed that I'm still not craving/missing grains at all. I feel very satisfied eating this way. I'm not even hungry in the evenings at all anymore, and that's when I used to eat the most (which isn't a good thing!) One other thing I'll say about this diet is that it's expensive. Especially when you're buying all organic/free range, which I try to do. I'm hoping to stay within my normal monthly food budget but I don't know if that'll happen.

Today's foods:

Breakfast:
2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
1 tsp raw honey
1 banana
1 small chai latte (I needed something warm, it was 10 degrees out today! :P)

Lunch:
meatloaf-made from: ground elk, and to sub for bread crumbs I used a bunch of minced veggies-turnips, carrots, onion, green cabbage, parsley, tomato paste, egg, small amount of maple syrup, spices. I fry these 'mini meatloaves' up on the stove ala Rachel Ray in some EVOO because I'm too lazy to cook it in the oven. And my oven is broken right now anyway.

roasted duck soup- made from: homemade duck stock, duck meat, minced veggies (leftover from the meatloaf recipe), green beans, spices, topped with small amount of grated raw swiss, raw parsley, and duck "cracklings" (ie crispy fried duck skin)

Evening snack:
apple w/ sunflower seed butter
carrots w/ cultured organic cream cheese
cheddar cheese slices

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 18th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #15
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

today's foods:

bacon
1 12 ounce cup decaf coffee with cream... and later because that didn't do it for me....
1 12 ounce cup regular coffee with cream
one cup yogurt w/ honey
1 ounce raisins
carrots w/ 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter
2 ounces cheese
duck soup w/ bacon
banana
orange juice
cod liver oil and omega oil

I need to buy better food containers to make it easier for me to eat at work. I need to make a point of bringing in smoothies and snacks that are high protein/fat because it's hard for me to get a good 'sit down' lunch in at work.
I still need some coffee to feel normal, but I've at least got it way down from what I was drinking before. I'm going to post an example of my old diet for comparison's sake.

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 19th, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #16
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

So, my typical day used to be:

Morning- wake up, go straight to the coffee maker and make a pot of coffee. Drip coffee has 175 mg of caffeine per 8 ounce. On average I was drinking 48 ounces of coffee per day, on a bad day it was up to 70 ounces. So average caffeine intake was over 1000 mg of caffeine a day. And I would drink this on an empty stomach usually, sometimes I would have a piece of whole grain toast for breakfast, but usually I would just have coffee for breakfast. Now I make sure to drink plenty of water and get some food in me before I let myself even think about having coffee.

Lunch- never seem to have time for it during the week, but really I just needed to force myself to bring food with me everyday. Usually I would get the "healthiest" food I could find from the vending machine, which would be either a bag of SunChips, a Hershey's chocolate bar, or some Snyder's Pretzles, and that would be my lunch. On the weekends I'd usually have toast or a sandwich for lunch. Sometimes leftovers which would usually be either a pasta or rice dish.

Supper- obviously when I got home I'd be starving. The suppers I cooked were usually "healthy" but they were almost always grain-based. LOTS of pasta dishes, because it's quick and my DS loves them.

So, I was very reliant on the caffeine in coffee to wake up and get through the day, and in the evening I craved the sedative effect of carbs/grains.

I'm still craving some coffee but I'm not craving starches/grains at all. This is likely because I'm eating more throughout the day and my insulin levels are at a more stable level.

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 19th, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #17
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

Still going strong on the no grains, and I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up today to *almost* perfectly clear skin. It's completely smooth but with just a few red spots from old breakouts that still need to fade out. I've still got some dark circles under my eyes, but I do think those might be getting a little better as well.

I'm still drinking more coffee than I'd like to be, and I really need to watch this because it makes me an insomniac (which doesn't help the dark circles any), but other than that everything's going good. Right now I've got a pork roast with honey mustard and thyme sauce that's almost ready to take out of my slow cooker. mmmmm....

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 24th, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #18
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

I need to figure out what to eat for breakfast. I've been skipping it because I seem to be at a complete loss without being able to pop bread into the toaster. I don't like cooking in the morning AT ALL, I just don't have the time or motivation for it. I'd still like something warm though, because I'm sick of raw fruit. hmmm...no idea what would work.

I'm thinking of adding potatoes back in already, I miss potatoes!

Today I had honey-mustard salmon & scallions, red grapes, and carrots for lunch. Now I'm gonna go have some leftover pork roast and cabbage for supper.

I've been forgetting to take my oils for the last few days, argh. I need to get in the habit of doing it in the morning, they really seem to give me an energy boost.

Last edited by cutastrophe : February 26th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #19
cutastrophe
Raw Beauty

This is an example of what I would like my diet to look like. Some days it's hard for me to get in all the calories I need, which means I'm not getting the nutrients I need, and that's obviously not good. But if I could get in three meals a day plus at least one snack I would meet/exceed all the nutrient requirements (according to the calculation on fitday.com). So a sample day would look like this:

Breakfast:

2 cup whole milk yogurt w/ 1 tbsp honey
1 banana
1 cup OJ
1 tbsp cod liver oil
1 tbsp omega blend oil

Lunch:

large salad made with 2 cups romaine, 1/4 cup parsely, 3/4 cup cubed turkey, 1/4 cup feta, and homemade salad dressing

Snack:

cheese and salami cubes

Dinner:

2 cups beef stew
1 baked potato w/ 2 tbsp of butter

It seems like so much food! Total calories equal 2438.
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #20
Medievalsilver
Dazzling Beauty

My mom is a Celiac, so my brother have a 50/50 chance of having Celiac without knowing it. So for my mom we have to be really careful about the food and groceries we buy.