Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 16th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Thumper
Raw Beauty

Default Suggest an alternative to leg shaving

Not sure if this is the right area to post.

I would love to hear suggestions for an alternative to leg shaving, which I hate! I'm ok on those epilady things, mind you the pain in some areas is quite annoying. I've had my legs waxed once at a salon and it was difficult. The technician had to go over the same area a few times and she told me that my hair folicals where really thick and tuff to pull out. Then I had a bad reaction afterwards and got those tiny bumps everywhere. Mind you that was about 10 years ago, things might have improved. So I'm not sure I want to attempt a home waxing kit. Those nair/neat products stink, like the shower curtain is burning, except I think it's the smell of my flesh burning, and why does the product (which starts as a white cream) turn purple when you add water to it?

What do you say ladies (or perhaps some men..?)

And while I am here.....is this -------> a fart?
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #2
wavebaby
Dazzling Beauty

I am a regular shaver and semi- regular salon waxer myself. I tried neet/nair once, and as you mentioned, P-U! No thanks.

Last edited by wavebaby : June 16th, 2006 at 06:43 AM.
wavebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #3
Elerxia
Untouched Beauty

Have you tried another salon treatment called "stringing"? It works a bit like an epilady as it just pulls the hair follicle out very fast, it's just done with a simple string - pretty neat to see! I've only had this done on my face, and I can't speak for other parts of the body.. But when I had it done it lasted for a respectable time.

Elerxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #4
kissme
Raw Beauty

try sugaring perhaps? though it may be a bit messy, but the results are considerably good, and inexpensive too.
kissme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerxia
Have you tried another salon treatment called "stringing"? It works a bit like an epilady as it just pulls the hair follicle out very fast, it's just done with a simple string - pretty neat to see! I've only had this done on my face, and I can't speak for other parts of the body.. But when I had it done it lasted for a respectable time.

Where I am it's called threading And I agree, it's a good method of hair removal and doesn't hurt much more than waxing does.
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #6
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

I think threading hurts less than wax, actually, but waxing has the benefit of only a large dose of quick pain. Threading takes longer, and is generally used on smaller surfaces. You could try the sugaring kissme suggested too, it's about the same as waxing. Except the cleanup in much easier than one of those at-home waxing kits.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #7
Ursula
Dazzling Beauty

You could always just do nothing.

In the winter, I rarely bother to shave - I'm wearing long pants, and no one sees my legs. I also tend to wear long skirts, summer and winter, so my legs are covered then, as well. On the odd occasion I wear shorts or a shorter skirt, I either don't bother (and it's no one's business), or I give my legs a quick once-over with an electric razor, which is fast and painless.
[I]Wavy hair is like looking at nature. You look out your window into the woods, and every day, every hour, it is different, but it is always the same, and always lovely, no matter which way it is looking. You don't control it, but you appriciate it for what it is, and if it wasn't constantly changing, it wouldn't be nature.[/I]
Ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #8
Kuchen
Raw Beauty

Try waxing again, or use an epilady for a while so that the hairs grow back more fine, and are easier to wax.
I'm going over to waxing; someone else can take responsibility for my leg hair removal! I can't be bothered any more...
Kuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #9
Dulci
Alluring Beauty

Default Veet

The past couple months I've used Veet, it smells almost pleasant, not at all like Nair. It comes with a bladeless razor, you scrape the gelcream off after only 3 minutes. Easy!
Dulci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #10
5of10
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula
You could always just do nothing.

In the winter, I rarely bother to shave - I'm wearing long pants, and no one sees my legs. I also tend to wear long skirts, summer and winter, so my legs are covered then, as well. On the odd occasion I wear shorts or a shorter skirt, I either don't bother (and it's no one's business), or I give my legs a quick once-over with an electric razor, which is fast and painless.

This is what I do as well, pants and long skirts. I usually end up using the electric razor once a month in the winter and a bit more often in the summer.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers. -- Socrates
5of10 is offline   Reply With Quote