Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Equeena
Raw Beauty

Default Horizontal Ridges in Nails

I have horizontal ridges on both my thumb nails and on a couple of my toenails.
I heard that vertical ridges in fingernails can be because of an iron deficiency, although I'm not sure if that's true or not. (Still, that's not what I have)
Does anyone else have that problem? I don't think it could be fungus...but maybe some form of fungus?

I remember I first got some horizontal ridges on my fingernails when I first buffed them. Could that be related? I'm still not sure why I would get that on my toenails.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? If its not fungus, would tea tree oil still help?
Equeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Stephanie
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Sometimes it's related to nutrition, sometimes to stress (called Beau's lines, I believe), sometimes to external wear such as buffing or filing. Are your nails healthy looking or are they yellow or green? Lifting in places? These would indicate fungus.

Have you changed your supplements in the past few months? I always get a ridge when I start loading on biotin after taking a break (read: forgetting) for a few months. Have you been buffing them lately? If you are, that would be my first guess unless they're yellow or green.

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Astarte
Untouched Beauty

I've got those too. They started in my big toenails and have worked their way to my second toenails. Mine have a slight yellowish tinge to them too. I thought they had somehting to do with wearing non-sensible footwear but my father informed me it was more likely to be fungus.
I was going to try the vinegar suggestion on the Toenail Fungus thread. I was going to go to the doctor but Dad said he had tried all the prescription drugs before and they didn't do anything for his fungus (...I bet it's all his fault!).
I hope yours isn't a fungus cos it seems tough to beat!
Astarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Stephanie
Aphrodite

I've had toenails "issues" before and had success with tea tree oil applied two or three times a day for several months. It takes a long time for the nail to grow out and you'll need to keep up with whatever topical treatments your using.

I'm not a fan of internal prescription medications for this because of side effects.

[SIZE=1][B]Clicking on our sponsors at the top
:flower: of the page is another option that :flower:
will help keep us going![/B][/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Equeena
Raw Beauty

I've been using tea tree oil, but I think it will take a few months before I can really see if its working or not. As of right now it seems to be.
Thanks for the feedback!
Equeena is offline   Reply With Quote