Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 15th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #1
severina
Untouched Beauty

Default Can you help me create a recipe for my HG foot spray?

I absolutely love The Body Shop's Refreshing Foot Spray. I'm a school teacher by profession and a hobyist-dancer, so my feet take a lot of abuse. I have for years kept a bottle of this foot spray in my desk at work, my dance bag, and near the couch where DH & I relax in the evening. It's an awesome quick fix that makes my feet feel less tired (& less, er....odiferous!).

So, why the search for alternative? Well, I'm trying to transition to more natural products. I'm also pretty unhappy about The Body Shop being purchased by L'Oreal. Also, I think I might be able to mix up a good copy-cat for less than I pay for the real thing. Plus, beauty-chemistry is fun!

Here's an ingredient list:

Alchol Denat., Water, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalus) Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropyl Myristate, Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Leaf Oil, Menthol, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Arnica Montana Extract, Blue 1.

I'm thinking I could mix up something similar using either isopropyl alcohol (or perhaps witch hazel?) and a mix of rosemary & tea tree essentail oils. I'm not sure about calendula -- is that chamomile?

Any suggestions? Does anyone have a product similar to this that you make? I'm happy to experiment and update later, but wanted to tap the wisdom of the boards first.

Severina
severina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #2
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

Looking up ingredients here... I'll update the post when I'm done. ETA: Updated! I think I got all the ingredients (except water, obviously).

Alcohol denat.

The article was pretty long... Basically it's alcohol that has been rendered undrinkable.

Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalus) Oil

ROSEMARY (Rosmarinus officinalus). Known as the principal stimulant, the essential oil of rosemary relieves pain, headache and promotes circulation while it assists digestion and detoxification.

C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate

INCI: C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate

C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate is an emollient ester provides light conditioning with a silky-soft after feel. Use in shampoos, body wash, lotion sprays, body mist, body oils, massage oils, lotions, and creams. Perfect for use o­n sensitive skin or in baby products. Non-toxic, non-sensitizing, non-comedogenic and odorless. It is supplied as a clear, thin, slightly oily liquid and used at a typical use level of 1-15%.

Isopropyl Myristate

Isopropyl myristate is the ester of isopropyl alcohol and myristic acid.Isopropyl Myristate is used in cosmetic and topical medicinal preparations where good absorption through the skin is desired. Moreover, it occurs in technical fats. Isopropyl is derived from propane, a gaseous and flammable component of petroleum. Myristic acid, a fatty acid, can be derived from most vegetable and animal fatty acids, but most especially from nutmeg (Myristica fragrans), palm seed fats, milk fat and sperm whale (Physeter catodon) fat.

Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Leaf Oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

Again, long article. A million uses for TTO, you know.

Calendula Officinalis Extract

Marigold is an extremely effective herb for the treatment of skin problems and can be used wherever there is inflammation of the skin, whether due to infection or physical damage; for example, ulcerations, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, anal fissures, mastitis, cysts, impetigo or other inflamed lesions. Marigold is also specifically indicated in enlarged or inflamed lymphatic nodes.

Arnica Montana Extract

Arnica Montana is used primarily to relieve the aftereffects of falls, blows, sports injuries and overexertion. Athletes, coaches, and trainers use it to treat a variety of sports injuries. Arnica relieves pain, swelling, and stiffness, and heals bruises caused by physical trauma. Arnica is also used on irritated nasal passages and lips. A compress of Arnica tea can be put on the stomach to relieve abdominal pains. This plant is seldom used internally because of its irritant effect on the stomach.

Last edited by eiyela : June 15th, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
eiyela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #3
snowbear
Cultured Beauty

(optional)

(Alcohol)
Water
Rosemary EO
Tea Tree EO
(Menthol)
Calendula (cream, possibly)
Arnica (cream, possibly)

Add the EOs to the creams, mix all. Dissolve the cream into water, and see if that works. If not, I'd add a little alcohol, that should do it.
Also, just water with peppermint oil in it is refreshing, and won't dry out your feet the way the alcohol would.

Hope that helps!
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #4
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

If my feet ache I tend to use a mix of peppermint oil in rosewater (smells a bit weird, but nice!) in a mister bottle.

If I think they smell, I use lemon oil or lemongrass if I can get it, in a mister with orange flower water.

I have no idea about using alcohol - sorry

I didnt know L'Oreal had bought the Body Shop. Gah! I may have to stop shopping there now. I'll have to find a recipe for mango body butter!
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #5
severina
Untouched Beauty

I think my health food store sells real mango butter. I haven't tried it yet becauseI have a stash of BS products I need to use up first. Might be worth trying?

Thanks for the ideas and information. I think I have a good idea of how to start. I'll post back with results later!
severina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #6
13bodies
Raw Beauty

Garden of Wisdom has arnica extract and calendula extract which should go well with alcohol. Peppermint eo would substitute nicely for the menthol.