Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #1
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Default Acrylic Nails ???

I've always loved the looks of acrylic nails with the pretty white tips. I've tried and tried to get that look with a French manicure but I can't seem to get it quite right. For the past several weeks I've been seriously thinking about getting acrylics. I'd have time to do it this week and would love to do it as a vacation treat. Any thoughts or advice? How hard are they to remove if I don't like them? I know there will probably be some damage to my own nails and I would have to wait for them to grow out before they are decent again.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Emichiee
Dazzling Beauty

I used to get my nails done.

Dont go for acrylic. It s bad for your nails,turns yellow after a while and if you remove it it smells like pee yuk..

I had acrylic and after that my nails needed to recover for a while..

Later I just got them done with gel.

I really liked that. No fake tips anymore, your nails can be lengthened just with gel. You can also still shorten your nails and wear them the way you want as well as paint.

I liked it way better.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Emichiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

I've had gel, solar, and acrylics. None of the work for me.

I've seriously been to over a dozen different nail technicians. Every one of them claims the nails didn't stay on (they always peeled up, sometimes while I was still in the chair) because they previous technician wasn't experience enough. I've had my nail sanded down to paper thin (seriously).

I've finally decided that my nail bed is not rounded enough to "take" artificial nails. They ALWAYS lift. They *usually* begin lifting within 24 hours. I've kept nail glue closeby to glue them down as soon as I notice the lifting. FWIW, my nails are very, very thin to begin with. They may or may not have anything to do with the problems I've had.

Anyway, I know a lot of people who have a lot of success with artificial nails, but I don't.

I hope you like your nails (and that they stay on for you)!
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #4
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

I used to get fiberglass. I loved them but expensive and alot of upkeep because I break them.
I wouldn't mind doing it again if I could find a less expensive place, but there is always upkeep again.
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Love My Cop
Dazzling Beauty

I had acrylic nails once, a few years back,and although they looked nice, they damaged my nail bed. My nail bed was rippled, paper thin,yellowish ,and weak overall. It took a long time for my nails to recover from that one time use. Not sure why I did it to begin with, since my nails grow strong and long naturally.
Love My Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #6
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~

I've worn them for about 15 years. I had gel nails for about a year, but it's so difficult for me to plan a time for them in town, so I've been doing my own the last few months. I learned how to do them about 10 years ago and just use Contours Liquid and powder. I have all the stuff the nail techs have, including a dremel (TY Cyk ). I use white tips and I keep them pretty short. Once the tips grow out too far, then I polish them.

It's easier to get acrylics off if you let them grow out, keeping the nail ends short. YOu can file them down on top to reduce the 'hump' as the nail grows, with a light grind nail board. Once the actual tip is gone, I just use a pair of nail nippers and they usually come right off. I don't pull on them, that takes some of your own nail bed with it. If I have a stubborn one, I soak it in acetone nail polish remover.
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Carolyn
Aphrodite

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm probably nuts for wanting to do it since my real nails are pretty ok. I just love the thick whitish opaquey look with the white tips. It's so girly and summery. I'm going to call some nails places this afternoon.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Sandie
Natural Beauty

Carolyn...

Acrylics are not a good idea if you only want to wear them for a vacation treat. Yes they can be taken off but your nails will be weak for a while after, and it's really not the best thing to do for a temporary thing. That said...I've been wearing acrylics for at least 20 years, and I love them. You go in and get them done every two weeks...it takes about 20-30 mintues tops...and your fingers allways look beautiful! I wear french all the time because it is pretty & goes with anything. So, I highly recommend them if you want to make the commitment. Check out your girlfriends hands and see who has the prettiest nails...then check out her nail girl. Prices range from about $25-$50 for a full set, and from $13-$20 for a fill.
[SIZE="1"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Darkgreen"] [URL="http://www.myspace.com/guysgoddess"]My Space[/URL] * [URL="http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1501745058"]My Facebook[/URL] * [URL="http://zaftigdelights.blogspot.com/"]My Blog[/URL] * [URL="http://twitter.com/ZaftigDelights"]My Twitter [/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.zaftigdelights.etsy.com"]Zaftig Delights ~ My Etsy Shop[/URL][/size][/B][/FONT]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="1"][B][I][color=green] Plus Size Clothing * Jewelry * Accessories
[/color][/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.KnitzyBlonde.etsy.com"]KnitzyBlonde - Knitwear & Handbags[/URL][/size][/B][/FONT]
Sandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #9
BBGrrl
Radiant Beauty

Sandie is right. I would never recommend acrylics or any enhancements for short term use. The damage they create when they are put on is to great. And god forbid taken off wrong they will rip your nails up. If you do decide to get them soak them off with acitone when your done wearing them.
BBGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #10
onthegrow
Untouched Beauty

Hi! I'm a nail tech and figured I'd ad my two cents worth. I agree that acrylics are not a good temporary choice neither are gels. Gels must be filed off and can't be soaked. If you pry either of them off you will totally ruin your nails underneath. I would recommend fiberglass over a white tip. It will do the least damage to your natural nail and can be soaked off with acetone easily. One thing to remember though is that depending on the tech anything can be damaging if not done properly. Best of luck.
onthegrow is offline   Reply With Quote