Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #1
Katze
Dazzling Beauty

Default Shedding - how long?

Hi everyone, good to see so many "old" (and new!) people here!

Overall I am very happy with my hair and scalp. Both are doing better than they ever have, and I really am feeling like a long hair these days! At 25.5 inches, I'm still 1.5 inches away from mid-back (Bra strap length) but my hair has never been this long, and is getting thicker at the ends, too.

Oh, and I'm washing with CWC, alternating WO washes, occasional vinegar rinses and occasional SMT. I wash every 3-4 days.

That's the good news.

What worries me is that I started shedding a lot in the Fall and it hasn't stopped! Last Spring I hardly shed at all, but come the cooler weather, every time I touch my hair, I lose 3-4 hairs. Fingercombing to detangle seems to make me shed more.

I'm curious as to how long shedding periods usually last. My hair isn't thick to begin with, and I am afraid to measure its thickness after so many months of shedding!

How long have you had sheds, on average (not after having a baby, just normal ones)? Is this then (I hope!) followed with a period of no shedding?

thanks!

Katze
Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #2
cindy58
Untouched Beauty

I started shedding last summer and into the fall. It's finally stopped -- hooray! I thought it may have been from the major stress of a divorce last year. I tried not to worry too much about the shedding and just stayed with my usual routine.

Since I've been single, I have seldom measured, but I did check my ponytail thickness at one point -- it seemed to be the same as when I first measured for LHC, 3.75"

Recently I had my hair pulled back for one style (can't remember which) and I noticed a little curl of hair that was about 1 1/2" long. I thought, "how did that get there?" It wasn't near the hairline, and was quite a few strands together. Then I realized that it was most likely hair growing back after the shed.
cindy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Chamomile betty
Sparkling Beauty

I had started to shed the end of December and it's just starting to slow down. Once March hits it should be over for me. I did this last year so it must be my 'shed time'.

As long as your not losing more and more hair daily I think you'll be ok. Also, have you been under any undo stress or illness? That could add on to your shedding.

Hoping it ends for you soon
[/CENTER]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=Green][SIZE=2] [SIZE=1]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
Chamomile betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Somewhere I read that some people go through big/huge sheds every 7 years. I think I'm coming out of one now. I started shedding last fall and it's just stopping now. I think it was my longest/oldest hairs that were coming out. I'm trying to look at it as something normal that will improve with time. I'm doing scalp massages in the evenings when I remember to do it and I'm taking MSM and biotin. Those supplements seem to help with shedding and a little with growth.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #5
girlcat36
Natural Beauty

Katze--I used to shed horribly over the last 10 years. I noticed a drastic reduction after going water only, using a BBB on my scalp, and scalp massage. Don't know if any of those things are an option for you.
girlcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #6
talullah
Sparkling Beauty

I started shedding last summer and it's still going strong. I'm definitely interpreting this as one of those major lifetime sheds-- once every ten years, once every seven years, or whatever it is. The last time this happened I was about 18 or 20 years old. (I can't remember if it lists our ages in profiles here--I'm 29.) I certainly hope this is followed by a period of non-shedding!
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #7
ycelong
Alluring Beauty

I am currently shedding quite a bit and I think mine may be thyroid related. Mid-30's the thyroid in women can begin to act up. Check your fingernails - does the line where you nail tip begins appear uneven? Especially the pink and ring finger.
Just something to consider. I thought I had mine fixed but it seems to have started up again. I am getting it checked next week.
ycelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Miss Murphy
Dazzling Beauty

I shed a lot and always have. I can only brush my hair next to the rubbish bin, because so many hairs come out.

In the last 2 years I have noticed an increase, but I put this up to my longer hair. Ie, I'm not shedding more, but longer hairs - which makes it look like more shedding.
Miss Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #9
levelek
Dazzling Beauty

Hi Katze! How nice to hear the good news about your hair and scalp! You'll have to post an update with pictures as soon as LHC is back up.

I went through a huge shed last autumn, the worst of it lasted for maybe a month and a half. I attacked it on multiple fronts, using Biotin supplements and scalp massages with a modified version of Meg's EO mix. It was hard not to panic sometimes but the shedding did stop!
levelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #10
jessie58
Tranquil Beauty

I'm having major shedding for the last 6 months. My last one like this was 3 years ago and before that never. I wish it would end.

On the plus side, I am growing in new hairs like crazy. They're everywhere and every length. However it takes years for them to grow down to where I want them to be.
jessie58 is offline   Reply With Quote