Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Chimom79
Untouched Beauty

Cry Moved, bad hair washing experience

Ok, we have moved and today was my first hair washing at the new place. Now I dont know if its the water or what, but it wasnt a pleasant experience. Our old place had hard water, I was used to it, so I don't think its a water problem, but I don't know.

I washed and conditioned my hair, this time with sulphates and cones, as I use them sometimes, sometimes not, but once out of the shower and partially dried, I could not hardly comb my hair out at all! It was like the comb just wouldn't slide through my hair. My hair was pulling out even though there really were no tangles or anything. I even used some of my Organix macadamia oil and even it didn't help. I let it dry more and then tried with my brush, its still that way. I hate it! Feels awful. i just braided ot back in an english braid. I used v05 s&c, kinds I have used before without issues. Any ideas what the issue could be? I am going to try my other s&c next time to see if its a different result.
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Gabriel
Untouched Beauty

I just moved away from NC and while I was there I could use shampoo bars without any trouble. I hardly ever needed an acidic rinse either and just used regular conditioner.

You can do a search for a water map and it should tell you if your area has hard or soft water. That will probably be a good starting point.

I find I have to clarify after some travelling, just to reset my hair/scalp.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Chimom79
Untouched Beauty

I'll def look into it and see what I can find out. We just moved a few miles up the road, we are in the same area and water district. But any input is helpful. I want to get me some more shampoo bars again as soon as I can.

ETA: I looked at a couple hard water maps. My area is in the hard to very hard water area. I've always lived in hard water areas. What joy... Lol!

Last edited by Chimom79 : October 6th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Chimom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Delila
Enticing Beauty

Oh, the rant I could have about water quality where I live. Sigh.

The main thing I've learned over the years is that I simply must do a lot of rinsing, and that I can't get away with using most of the conditioners in the grocery/drugstores.

I look forward to the day when I can move back to a part of the world with water that's better.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Angelistarr
Sparkling Beauty

It might just be the water. When I visit Florida, my hair gets so damaged from the water in Orlando. Doesn't help that I have to saturate it in order to fight chlorine if I go into the pool. Then in Puerto Rico, it tends to actually get on the healthier side if I do cowashing. Shampoo tends to strip and dry it with the water there. I don't understand why tho.

[SIZE="1"][B]2c/3a:MC:III
Current: maintaining APL (until after boot camp!)
Current Goal: WAIST!![/B][/SIZE]
Angelistarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

I think you may need to become friends with a regular acidic rinse. Could you buy some sort of water filter? Washing your hair with distilled water is another possibility.

They're not necessarily cheap options though. I hope you find something that works!

I remember people discussing something called Miracle Water on LHC - what purpose was that used for? Anyone remember? (You could make it yourself).
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Gabriel
Untouched Beauty

Miracle Water = citric acid and (distilled? I use bottled) water. It's another acidic rinse, like a vinegar rinse. I am rotating between that (citric acid) and lime + water right now. I can't stand the smell of vinegar.

The water in the drought area that I am living is notoriously awful. It actually made me gag the first time I tried to drink some from the tap, filtered from a Brita jug. I went right out and had to buy bottled water.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #8
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

I have hard water with iron! The iron destroys my hair. Maybe your hard water has iron in it. The only thing that remotely saves my hair is our water softener. And my hair still suffers-even with the water softener.

I just try my best to not forget to put the iron-out salt in, I get my hair trimmed regularly, and I have now discovered the curly girl method. My hair will never be like someones hair that has normal water. I have pretty much made peace with this but sometimes.....! I know people buy water to use for their hair but I just cant see how I can possibly pour that water over my hair and get all the conditioner out. I rinse my hair so long under the fascet to make sure all the conditioner is out that I cant imagine how long it would take using a cup!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Chimom79
Untouched Beauty

I appreciate all the replies. I will do a lemon water rinse next washing and see if it helps. Right now buying something to soften the water isn't possible, but it would be great if we could do that sometime.
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

Chimom, if your hair is not blonde, but some other color, I don't think doing a lemon water rinse is a good idea as it will lighten your hair color a lot and could cause it to be close to being blonde. If your hair isn't blonde, doing apple cider vinegar rinse (1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water, not necessarily distilled water) would be a better idea. There's little smell once you dissolve the vinegar in water and after it's thoroughly rinsed the smell practically disappears. Any lingering smell is gone by the time your hair is fully dry.
Growing till BSL (for now)
biogirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote