Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Skin Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:19 AM   #1
Pursuer
Untouched Beauty

Grin I made my first cream-lotion!

I am so excited! I made my first cream out of all-natural ingredients, and it turned out heavenly! A little goes a long way, too.
I added essential oils for their abilities for cleansing skin, but also, they smelled great together. But I almost didn't add them - it smelled like heavenly honey before that.
At any rate, it works amazing.
Have any of you made your own lotion or cream? If so, what was your experience with using it?
Pursuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:24 AM   #2
feisty redhead
Alluring Beauty

I've made my own lotion but in the long run it just got too expensive to always have to stock up on the ingredients so I've gone back to my old store-bought (or e-tailor) favorites.
[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/natredsig.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]
feisty redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Pursuer
Untouched Beauty

It was expenisve for you? I made mine for under $1.50, for about 2 cups worth of cream. It was all easy-to-obtain ingredients, too. Even buying it all up-front cost me under $10, and I've used all the products for other things as well (aloe vera, beeswax from a local supplier, etc.)
Where do you buy your current stuff? I am learning to love creams and lotions.
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Eden Iris
Raw Beauty

Pursuer, would you be willing to post your recipe? I am interested in making my own moisturizer as well. I've got oils and plenty of aloe growing in my yard.
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Pursuer
Untouched Beauty

This was from Rosemary Gladstar's book, Herbs for Natural Beauty. It goes along with a facial regiment, but can be used by itself too.

"Perfect Cream"

waters
2/3 c. distilled water (or distilled rose or orange flower water)
1/3 c. aloe vera gel
1-2 drops essential oil of choice
vitamins A and E as desired
oils
3/4 c. apricot, almond or grapeseed oil
1/3 c. coconut oil or cocoa butter
1/4 tsp. lanolin
1/2-1 oz. grated beeswax

Combine distilled water, aloe and vitamins in glass measuring cup. Set aside.
In double boiler over low heat, combine the oils ingredients. Heat just to melt. Pour oils into blender and let cool to room temperature. Should become thick, creamy, semi-solid and cream colored.
When cooled, turn blender to highest speed. In slow, thin drizzle, pour waters mixture into the center vortex of cover. WHen most of water mixture has been added to oils, listen to blender and watch cream. When blender coughs and chokes, cream looks like a thick white buttercream frosting, turn off blender. Add more water and essential oils, beating by hand with long iced-tea spoon (there will be a tad bit of semi-solid beeswax mix stuck under blades, use spoon to scrape it out and mix), but don't over-beat.
Cream thickens as it sets. Pour into cream or lotion jars. Store in cool place.
Use a DROP on finger and massage into face. Temporary feeling of oiliness wil disappear fairly quickly.

The two most "expensive" items:
As to the lanolin, I did get that for free from a friend, however, Lavendar Lane Forever sells it, at their most expensive price, for $1/oz. (compared to $4/oz. at WalMart!)
If you do a bit of searching, a local beekeeper will generally sell beeswax, refined or unrefined (I much prefer the properties of unrefined) for $1-$3/lb. I get my unrefined beeswax for $2.50/lb. My cousin-in-law wants some, and in a flat-rate shipping box I can send over 6 lbs! It's a better deal than anywhere I've found on-line.

I make-shifted a double-boiler too. It was so much fun to make this, and in the end, much cheaper, for me, than buying it premade! I hope you can enjoy this and have fun!
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
feisty redhead
Alluring Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuer
It was expenisve for you? I made mine for under $1.50, for about 2 cups worth of cream. It was all easy-to-obtain ingredients, too. Even buying it all up-front cost me under $10, and I've used all the products for other things as well (aloe vera, beeswax from a local supplier, etc.)
Where do you buy your current stuff? I am learning to love creams and lotions.

I see your recipe uses mostly "every day" ingredients - that is why. My preferred recipe used more ingredients and things I had to order online, and in bulk. I do have some simpler recipes around too; one that makes massage bars that you can also use as lotion but you really have to be careful about not using too much because it's super rich. But anyway I would get my supplies from brambleberry.com & snowdriftfarm.com - both very reliable, easy to work with suppliers.
[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/lips_of_an_angel_photos/natredsig.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]
feisty redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:51 AM   #7
SarieQ
Natural Beauty

Congrats on a good first cream lotion! I've made many creams and lotions in the past few years. Mine always come out too thick, waxy, or greasy. I've pretty much given up as my skin seems to prefer plain oil oil and eo's. My first lotion was made out of coconut milk, aloe gel, shea butter, evening primrose oil, flax oil, vitamin E. It was the best lotion I've ever made and it faded scars, tightened pores, and made my skin look nicer than it ever had in all my life. Then it just quit working one day and I've never been able to use it successfully again. Sad because I really liked that blend. The only drawback was that it needed fridged, but that felt wonderful on hot summer days.

I used to pay like $15 for 4 oz of AO face cream that I'd use all over my body because my skin didn't like anything else. Homemade stuff is so much cheaper to make with an initial investment in the ingredients, but they make a lot of recipes!

Last edited by SarieQ : April 1st, 2008 at 11:53 AM.
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Pursuer
Untouched Beauty

Sarie, do you still have the recipe for that cream/lotion you made that could fade scars? If so, do you mind sharing it? (I have a few I would like to test it on!)
Thank you in advance.

Yes, I was skeptical about making my own lotion for the idea of it coming out too thick, too watery, or greasy. But this recipe is not any of those. It's just right - though there is an initial period of about 30 seconds where they FEEL greasy, it goes away.
I really enjoy this lotion. I don't think it will get rid of stretch marks, though!
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM   #9
kwaniesiam
Radiant Beauty

That looks like a good recipe, I might have to try it if I get ahold of some beeswax. Cocoa butter is known to help fade scars, maybe adding that would help?
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote