Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM   #1
BlondeInDisguise
Sparkling Beauty

Default Black Hairs come hither

This is actually a question about my horse--I'm as brunette as they come.

Are there any tricks or tips to keeping hair black without dying? My horses mane is just sort of this blah gray (It's supposed to be black). I have her on paprika for the fading, but this isn't fading it looks unhealthy.

I have used some leave-in conditioner that contains lanolin (no silicones, though) and I'm wondering if that's part of the reason.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I know this is a "people hair" forum, but it IS hair after all.

[CENTER][FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=DarkOrange]Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Psalm 37:4[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
BlondeInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
squiggyflop
Luxe Beauty

is the horse getting old? sometimes people go grey in their teens. perhaps its the diet of the horse... in some parts of africa kids end up with orange hair instead of black because they arent getting certain nutrients... was the mane black before and now its turning grey?? i cant think of any way to make it black without dyeing it with indigo and henna...
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3
BlondeInDisguise
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggyflop
is the horse getting old? sometimes people go grey in their teens. perhaps its the diet of the horse... in some parts of africa kids end up with orange hair instead of black because they arent getting certain nutrients... was the mane black before and now its turning grey?? i cant think of any way to make it black without dyeing it with indigo and henna...

No, she's not getting old. She's only 11. Usually if horses get gray hair at all, it's just a few here and there--and typically not in their manes. More like above their eyes.

Her mane has been grayish for as long as I can remember, pretty much. After I wash it, it looks really black and nice, but after it dries completely it goes back to being dull and lifeless.

Her diet is fine. She's getting good quality hay. I fed her flax (until it ran out) and even then her mane wasn't that great. It seems to be growing, though.

[CENTER][FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=DarkOrange]Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Psalm 37:4[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
maighdean
Natural Beauty

Sometimes if the sun fades my naturally black hair I rinse/soak it in green tea or black tea (cooled of course). Seems to help.
maighdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Liluri
Luxe Beauty

Coconut oil? Not that it will make it blacker but it might help it's health. you can do a condition or just a tinsy bit as a leave in. Olive oil and Avocado were also listed as penetrating the hair on this site.

Would Grecian be ok on a horse? (not suggesting but now I'm curious)
[I][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Purple]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/I][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2]
[COLOR=Blue]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3] "If you are taking me somewhere where I don't need a boa, then I don't wanna go. - Gabrielle Solis"[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][I][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Indigo]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Lady Alkonost of the Heavenly Plumage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Liluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #6
BlondeInDisguise
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liluri
Coconut oil? Not that it will make it blacker but it might help it's health. you can do a condition or just a tinsy bit as a leave in. Olive oil and Avocado were also listed as penetrating the hair on this site.

Would Grecian be ok on a horse? (not suggesting but now I'm curious)

At the recommendation of a friend (not for blackening purposes) I started using coconut oil in her mane and tail. It's much softer and nicer. I think this summer I'll try clarifying it and I have a feeling that getting rid of some the winter dirt and ickies will help, especially if I continue to use coconut oil.

I'm not sure, what is Grecian? I'm still new at this hair stuff.

Old February 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #7
spidermom
Alluring Beauty

Mane and Tail conditioner?
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Darscilla
Natural Beauty

How about a color-enhancing shampoo? I know Jason do one for black hair 'cos its sitting in my bathroom
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Guenever
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermom
- lol, sorry, I just had to comment on that one!

Last edited by Guenever : February 25th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Guenever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #10
BlondeInDisguise
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermom

Never tried that on her. It contains lanolin, and my other conditioner does, too. I'd like to try to stay away from lanolin to see if it makes a difference.