Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Dulci
Alluring Beauty

Default Fun link: Vintage Makeup Guide

This link has a guide to the makeup looks of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, fun! It's interesting to see the different eyebrow and lip styles, even manicure styles!
Dulci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
orchid
Raw Beauty

Cheesy vintage make up

Neat!

And I thought blue nail polish was "first discovered" in the 90s!

Thank you for sharing.
orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Thank you so much for posting that link. I enjoyed it so much being the make up ho that I am! I love the 40s nail polish idea with silver/white tips. And what a cool idea to use petroleum jelly as a daytime eye shine. I had no idea Cutex went back that far.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:57 AM   #4
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

My grandmother taught me to wear nail color and make up according to clothing, now I know where she got that.
I remember seeing vintage make up and advertisements that she had kept, it was really cool to see them.

Thanks for the link
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Liluri
Luxe Beauty

Thank you for the link, very cool
Liluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Emichiee
Dazzling Beauty

Very nice! Never knew they left out the tip and/or half moon when applying nail polish. I gotta try that!

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Emichiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM   #7
Dulci
Alluring Beauty

My grandmother left her half moons bare too, I really like the look. She wore a beautiful pale coral polish, I wish I knew the name of it.

All of the makeup looks were attractive (except some of the unfortunate eyebrow choices LOL.) Jean Harlow!

Here's a cool link on vintage hair styles. The Page Boy is beautiful, and the partings on The Sleek Contour are interesting.

My cousin was a small town hairdresser, she did fingerwaves for our grand-aunt. She hated doing them, but got a reputation, all the older ladies in town went to her.
Dulci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Carolyn
Aphrodite

I remember when I was a little girl (mid 1950s) seeing women with the moon left bare of polish. My mom never did that when she painted her nails but the look has always appealed to me. I really like the look of the shiney but transparent eye shadow in the 30s. I'll watch old movies just to gape at the hair, make up and clothes.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM   #9
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

Fun read, thanks for sharing! I can't imagine how they could paint their nails like that and get them to look even. I know stickers are used for french manicures but even way back then?
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM   #10
summer-time
Radiant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulci
My grandmother left her half moons bare too, I really like the look. She wore a beautiful pale coral polish, I wish I knew the name of it.

All of the makeup looks were attractive (except some of the unfortunate eyebrow choices LOL.) Jean Harlow!

Here's a cool link on vintage hair styles. The Page Boy is beautiful, and the partings on The Sleek Contour are interesting.

My cousin was a small town hairdresser, she did fingerwaves for our grand-aunt. She hated doing them, but got a reputation, all the older ladies in town went to her.

Yes, I don't know about the eyebrows either, but on the up side they were done gracefully and had a sophisticated look .

My grandmother was a hairdresser too, my cousins and I learned about pin curls from an early age and she always used to talk about the PageBoy