Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Miss Murphy
Dazzling Beauty

Undecided Trouble with new comb

Today I received 3 lovely, remarkably beautiful hairtoys. One of them is a 5-prong fork. I wanted to try it out immediately, and attempted a french twist.
I rolled my hair, put it up, slid the comb in - and I heard and felt my hair break

The prongs are much slimmer and pointier than the fork I usually use (where I don't have that problem).

Am I doing anything wrong? I feel like crying - the comb cost quite a lot and it is so beautiful, plus I have to think about all the hairs I broke
Miss Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Euphony
Enticing Beauty

OOOOOOOOOO boy, it took me a long time to get used to my beautiful comb my husband bought me for our anniversary. I love my comb, it's gorgeous and my sweet husband was so thoughtful with that gift...but I rarely use it.

I learned I was twisting my hair too tightly...but I found when I do it looser the comb doesn't break/pull out/snag hairs but I have to readjust it about every hour. I also find myself inadvertantly holding my head pretty still - I don't realize I'm doing that until my neck starts to ache pretty good. Ugh, I love my comb, but just really haven't found a way to wear it right.
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #3
ladiosaRosa
Enticing Beauty

Miss Murphy, this is an awful situation; I experienced the same recently. It was with a 2-prong fork....luckily, made of wood. I was torn between sanding it down or tossing it. Sanding it down was not as simple as it sounds because as I sanded, I had to keep trying it to make sure it was sanded enough. Had to sacrifice some hairs to do so. I felt

I suggest you try the piece again, once or twice....once twisting hair tightly (though you never want an updo that involves tightly twisted hair) again, twisting hair loosely. If it's snapping hairs and made of wood, you can decide to sand it to required smoothness. If it is made of a material, I would try to get my money back for it....if at all possible. Any reputable craftsperson/artist will stand behine their product. If you bought it in a store, bring it back. It's worthless if it continues to snap hairs.

I'm so sorry this is happening.

Last edited by ladiosaRosa : February 12th, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
ladiosaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
LORA410
Radiant Beauty

Yeah my fork made of bone and my hair comb made of tortoise comb sometime in the 1920's does this to sadly. I will just have to wear them sparingly so I feel for you.
LORA410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Teacherbear
Admin - can't think of a good user title

I don't know about your fork, but I have a 3-tine fork that has the tiniest of splits/cracks at the tip of one tine. It catches a hair (or 3) and it always pulls and usually breaks the hair. Perhaps that is what is happening with yours, too.