Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #1
snowbear
Cultured Beauty

Default Beaches and COing

I'm going to Hawaii on vacation and expect to be in the water quite a lot. When I tried CO before, it didn't work because my hair got too greasy. Being that the ocean is rather salty, would the salt combat the greasies, such that I should try COing again?
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #2
wavebaby
Dazzling Beauty

I don't CO (too heavy for my waves) but have fun in Hawaii!!!! (jealous here!)
wavebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #3
eiyela
Captivating Beauty

Ooooh, Hawaii! Cool! Hope you have tons of fun in the sun.

Regardless of whether you normally CO or not, put conditioner or oil on before going to the beach. You'll need something to protect your hair from all that sun and saltwater. I don't know if it'll work better there or not, but why don't you just give it a shot and see? The worst that ca happen is that you'll have to unpack your shampoo bottle.
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #4
TwirlyTresses
Raw Beauty

Sounds like a perfect time to give it a try! Since sun and salt water can dry out your hair, you might need the extra moisture. I don't CO regularly at home, but really like to when I travel--it's simple and makes packing easy, and I don't need all the other implements I keep in my shower at home (jars for herbal or ACV rinses, bottles to dilute shampoo in, etc .

Have a great trip!
TwirlyTresses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #5
annarose
Natural Beauty

Oh Snowbear, I want to go with you!! I was on Oahu in Febuary this year, it was the most beautiful place on earth! You will definately have fun, and you will never be the same again after seeing all that beauty, it's incredible.

My hair had a really hard time adjusting to the climate, coming from freezing cold and dry Canada to warm humid Hawaii was a bit much for it. I tried everything,... oils, shea butter, co'ing, s&c' ing, what finally worked was to clarify all that out with a suphate poo and condition as usual after that, alternating with co'ing. I had the most happiest hair I have ever had there after all that! So bouncy and shiny, I was convinced it was a sign to move there permanently, not that I needed a reason to want to live there.

Unfortunately I didn't swim much so I don't know how to handle hair in and out of salt water, but the sun is alarmingly hot (and suprisingly hot, sent me to the doctor with 2nd degree burns after only 2 hours in it, and I'm a regular sunworshipper!!)

Where abouts are you going? And when ? (so's I can sneak into your suitcase )!
annarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Meezer
Natural Beauty

Ohhh have fun! Hawaii is beautiful! I went for two weeks during July back in 2000. I thoguht it would be super hot, but it wasn't. The Hawaiian trade winds keep everything nice and breezy and wonderful! You will love it!

As far as the salt water/ocean air, I live close to the Gulf so I can understand your plight. I also have a salt water swimming pool which replicates ocean water to a certain degree. Unfortunately, I'm unable to CO. I usually do diluted shampoos every other day and then CO on the days in between. But heck, I would give it a go if I were you. Try it for a day or two. If you don't feel like it's working well for you, you can always try a shampoo dilution.

Have a great vacation!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Skin: combination, prone to a hormone related zit now and then; avid sunscreen user; LUSH-a-holic![/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hair: 3aMii-iii[/FONT]
Meezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #7
icydove
Raw Beauty

I CO'd when I went to the beach last summer, and I didn't have any problems. In fact, it kept my hair from being overly dry.
icydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #8
ravenlox
Untouched Beauty

I spent 3 weeks at the beach earlier this year, and found that I co'd most of the time. I just used my best judgement, and when it felt a bit heavy, I would do a diluted shampoo. It felt great, and beach hair is awesome.
ravenlox is offline   Reply With Quote