Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1
cichlid
Sparkling Beauty

Kiss my build up problem (continuation of a previous post on LHC)

I am new to using oils. I started using this in a receipe but I would like to use jojoba oil just straight as a leave in and stop using the receipe as a leave in. I am starting to think maybe part of the problem with my hair is aloe vera. Crazy I know...but once I used it on my skin and it felt sticky for awhile. Maybe that's why I have a build up problem all of a sudden. Or maybe it is the jojoba oil...but anyway...let's talk about this all since really when I look back on it my hair builds up faster with this spray. I like to do as little clarification as possible.

Okay, let me admit that it is summer and I have a class at 9am and usually have enough time after I finish execising in the morning (it gets 100F+ during the day here so if I don't do it then I can't that day) to wash and go...especially since I CO. I usually go out with hair that is pretty damp but is dry by the time I get to class usually since this summer weather just dries my hair so fast. I guess it's because I have dark hair (darker=more sunlight absorbed).

Do you think my theories are a bit wrong? I mean neither being able to cause a build up problem while COing?

Does jojoba oil absorb into the hair or does it sort of sit on the hair? I know it is similar to sebum...but I as I said I am new to oils. In fact, I had never heard of using oils on the hair until I came to LHC. But anyway...it absorbs into my skin fast so it got me thinking...

Does aloe vera gel (FoTE) build up? I know that some curlies use it as a gel to help their curls...but maybe I should stay away from it since it might be causing a stickiness problem and giving me a piecey effect. Obviously I am not too big on the whole piecey look while being weighed down. The pics were in my photo journal on LHC but that is down now so: pic 1, pic 2

So...what do you think? I know...vinager rinses have been talked about. As well as starting to use WR and rotating that and VO5. And clarifying more has been brought up. So let's not talk about those anymore. Yep, yep ,yep...I think the main question is what do you think of using jojoba oil as a wash day leave in? Will it build up? And could aloe vera GEL explain some of my problems? ...or am I just being stupid and I should go eat cheese. Cheese...

ETA: this all came about when I added jojoba oil straight and it smoothed my flyaways down so well. Plus...shiny hair! I just used a drop for my entire head...probably less since I rubbed it in my hands a little first.

Last edited by cichlid : June 12th, 2006 at 05:15 PM.
cichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Flaxen
Dazzling Beauty

I haven't been able to get straight oil to work as a leave-in(always get greasy), so I'm not going to be much help there, but here's what I would do: CO your hair and damp bun it without any leave-in at all. Damp bunning will do more for your moisture levels than any leave-in could, and a damp bun at the base of your neck is a fantstic personal air-conditioner. You'll be amazed.
Flaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #3
cichlid
Sparkling Beauty

My hair is only a few inches past shoulder length (19" measured from hair line to ends in the back) so bunning would cause some funky waves going on right now. It's also hard to keep a bun to stay since my hair is a bit on the thicker side of ii (3.5" around). Also I don't trust my fakkare on wet hair.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Wind
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid
I know...vinager rinses have been talked about.
But have you tried one? My hair gets like that every few months, and an ACV rinse clears it right up.
I use aloe frequently on my face, and while it's sticky when wet, after it dries, it's fine. A lot of gels are like that. I use it on my hair as well, but I CWC, so I can't say for sure that it doesn't build up while COing.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Snowymoon
Natural Beauty

Not sure. Perhaps you could try clarifying and try each thing separately for a while until you figure it out, clarifying again between each trial. For me, it seems both aloe gel and jojoba build up on me (the jojoba seems much worse, but I am not completely sure of this). When I use oils, the first application produces really soft, smooth and shiney hair. It does pull the waves straighter, though. After that, it is all downhill. It goes very dry and limp no matter what I do. This will eventually lead to breakage and damage for me unless I shampoo it out several times until it is all gone. I wish oils worked for me, but it does not seem they will unless I seriously scrub them out of my hair after each use, which I would rather not do.

Best of luck to you in finding a solution.

[I][COLOR=Navy][B]:chicken:[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=Navy][B]Behold the extremely cute chicken! She wants to take over the world! [/B][/COLOR][/I]
[/CENTER]
Snowymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #6
cichlid
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowymoon
Not sure. Perhaps you could try clarifying and try each thing separately for a while until you figure it out, clarifying again between each trial. For me, it seems both aloe gel and jojoba build up on me (the jojoba seems much worse, but I am not completely sure of this). When I use oils, the first application produces really soft, smooth and shiney hair. It does pull the waves straighter, though. After that, it is all downhill. It goes very dry and limp no matter what I do. This will eventually lead to breakage and damage for me unless I shampoo it out several times until it is all gone. I wish oils worked for me, but it does not seem they will unless I seriously scrub them out of my hair after each use, which I would rather not do.

Best of luck to you in finding a solution.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...I was going to try the expriment and see what worked best for me anyway. And I have noticed that jojoba oil does pull out my waves. I don't mind though and actually perfer the straighter look for the length right now.

I mean I will finish up the spray and make a conclusion. Then use just jojoba oil on wash days only. Then, try the aloe vera gel and see what is building up. Then if neither is the problem then...I'll be looking at AVC rinses and looking at my conditioners. I will figure this one out.