Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
irishfreckles
Untouched Beauty

Default growing out henna

Since LHC is down, I thought I would post this question here. Has anyone stopped using henna and grown it out completely to all natural hair? My hair is only 14 inches and doesn't even reach my shoulders right now. I love the color henna gives me but at least once a day I think about growing my natural color out. I just wondered if anyone had and how frustrating it might have been to watch your roots get bigger and bigger.

Thanks!
irishfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Kitty
Raw Beauty

I dont henna my hair, but about 7 years ago for a few years, I used to dye my hair black. Then I started getting sick of it.
So I let it grow out for awhile, but my light-medium brown hair looked really light against the black and I had the skunk affect. So after growing about 3 inches out, I bleached it out and dyed to match the roots
It was very harsh on my hair, but for me, I dont think I could have standed it any other way. Had I not done that, I would probably continued to dye it black.
I know I wasnt any help at all, but thought I would share.
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
irishfreckles
Untouched Beauty

Kitty - that was helpful. One of my thoughts is that I might cave and dye my hair back to match the roots. I would probably skip the bleach part though. I know that the colored hair would fade and not match the roots completely but it would be a closer match.

Did you use any treatments (dt, hot oil, etc.) to counter balance any damage done by the bleach?

Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #4
Kitty
Raw Beauty

Well when I did that to my hair, that was long before the LHC unfortunately. LOL. Otherwise my hair would probably have been in much better condition. I was still a daily shampooer then, so I'm sure that didnt help. I also used the blow dryer alot which is also very bad for my hair in particular.
What I think would have really helped was moisture moisture moisture. My hair was really dry at the ends and I had quite a few splits. I did actually do S&D then because I have always hated splits. My hair was at a standstill for awhile as well because I would get frequent trims to get rid of the dry ends. Mind you, my hair has always been at least brastrap length, so I didnt really lose any length from the experience, it was just slowed for awhile.
If you are able to fix the colour without having to bleach anything out, I'm sure it will stay very healthy. Just be sure to get alot of moisture in your hair (SMTs, oils, deep treatments, whatever your hair likes best!!!)

I hope everything goes well!!!!
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Amalthea
Untouched Beauty

Irishfreckles, I think that if the idea of growing out your natural colour occurs to you that often, you should probably give it a go!
As for the growing out process, I think that a lot depends on how different your henna colour is from your natural colour.
Also,is your natural colour one that you could use henna to match before starting to grow out?
I find that a small variation between roots/coloured hair isn't too hard to live with-I've been growing out mine for about a year and a half now, and I find that with exposure to sunlight, herbal rinses, etc, the transition between my natural and dyed hair is not too noticible. Personally, I watched my roots grow and grow with satisfaction, since it was an easy way for me to see that my hair was getting longer!
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
irishfreckles
Untouched Beauty

Amalthea - you are brilliant! This time last year I was pretty much bald and my red hair grew in more brown so I chose henna to get my red back. Until you mentioned it I had totally forgotten that some people add amla and other things to get more of a brown shade.

Thank you for jump starting my brain!
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Autumn
Untouched Beauty

I hennaed my hair for over a year and for the last 6 months I've been growing it out my natural color. My hair is hip length or so, about 34". Its dark brown, so all the henna did was add red highlights in the sun. You can't really see the difference between my roots and the rest except in natural light at the right angle.

If there is a big discrepancy between your natural color and your hennaed color, you could add things to the henna mixture to make it turn out closer to your natural color and then grow it out. Or you could do a two step process with henna and indigo.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #8
spiraleeee
Raw Beauty

Some thoughts I've filed away for later use- I've read about people having some success using heavy oiling, particularily mineral oil to fade henna color. Also, I had to stop using the SMT because the honey fades my henna, so that might also be helpful in evening out the color as you grow out.
spiraleeee is offline   Reply With Quote