Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hair Care & Styling
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #11
chloeishere
Alluring Beauty

Yes, I've heard that about coconut oil too.

It's sort of like trans-fats-- they are actually unsaturated (by definition. A double-bonded carbon chain molecule has two possible orientations, cis, and trans. Certain positions for certain trans molecules are apparently really bad for us!), but they end up being about as bad as saturated fats.

So, in this way, I suppose there are also "good" and "bad" saturated fats. Though, to be fair, I've only heard of coconut oil as a "good" saturated fat.
I've heard it's better to cook (i.e. heat) with coconut oil than olive oil, because coconut oil already has a good, healthful structure that is extremely stable; olive oil (has a less stable structure as organic molecules that are saturated are automatically less reactive) may become "saturated" when it's heated, and end up less healthful. I'm not sure if that's true, I'm not sure at what temperature olive oil becomes more reactive. But it's something to keep in mind!

And I'm sorry, I just don't know about parachute coconut oil. Maybe it's not virgin oil (first press) but still unrefined? I've never tried it, but I probably would, if it's cheaper and unrefined! I don't eat coconut oil, though.
chloeishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #12
ChloeDharma
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeishere
Yes, I've heard that about coconut oil too.

It's sort of like trans-fats-- they are actually unsaturated (by definition. A double-bonded carbon chain molecule has two possible orientations, cis, and trans. Certain positions for certain trans molecules are apparently really bad for us!), but they end up being about as bad as saturated fats.

So, in this way, I suppose there are also "good" and "bad" saturated fats. Though, to be fair, I've only heard of coconut oil as a "good" saturated fat.
I've heard it's better to cook (i.e. heat) with coconut oil than olive oil, because coconut oil already has a good, healthful structure that is extremely stable; olive oil (has a less stable structure as organic molecules that are saturated are automatically less reactive) may become "saturated" when it's heated, and end up less healthful. I'm not sure if that's true, I'm not sure at what temperature olive oil becomes more reactive. But it's something to keep in mind!

And I'm sorry, I just don't know about parachute coconut oil. Maybe it's not virgin oil (first press) but still unrefined? I've never tried it, but I probably would, if it's cheaper and unrefined! I don't eat coconut oil, though.

Yes, though surprisingly coconut and palm oil are sometimes hydrogenated......of course a bad thing. Red Palm Oil is the other saturated fat that's apparently very good for you, rich in carotenoids.......i brought some labelled unrefined palm oil but then later found out that it's actually hydrogenated too so it's sat unused in it's jar as i wont cook with it or give it to my dog. I keep meaning to try it on my skin and hair but i'm nervous of turning my skin orange from it lol.

You are right about the heat stability of coconut oil, the worry with some veetable oils as i heard it is that heating above a certain temperature which varies depending on the oil, causes some kind of reaction so that carcinogenic chemicals are formed.

I'm going to get more of that parachute anyway i think, even if i just end up using it for my skin and hair. Still going to find out how it's made though.
ChloeDharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #13
Nat242
Dazzling Beauty

I use Parachute Coconut Oil - I can't offer a comparison because it's the only one I've used.

I LOVE IT, though, and use it in my hair, on my face, as an all over body-moisturiser and even under my arms as a mild deodorant for non-strenuous days.
Nat242 is offline   Reply With Quote