Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
red*dyes*back
Untouched Beauty

Default nailbiter rehab

i cannot stop biting my nails.its horrible and since i'm going on 25 this year=embarassing.i recently gotten engaged and i want to have pretty bite and hangnail free nails to show off the ring .i'm not looking for a miracle cure-just some hints and suggestions from previous nail biters that have converted their ways.i've tried that gross tasting nail stuff untill i actually had gotten used to the taste so that no longer works if anyone uses that and wanted to share
[B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue]*with my hubcap diamond stud halo*[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
red*dyes*back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #2
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

Have you tried getting a manicure? Aim to make them look too pretty to eat Plus if you've spent that money on them you might be more reluctant to ruin the efforts.
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #3
red*dyes*back
Untouched Beauty

i ate the fake nail last time.the thumb one.i sat in class and chewed away till it looked horribly damaged.i'm at my wits end here thanks for the help little flower
[B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue]*with my hubcap diamond stud halo*[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
red*dyes*back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #4
Polgara
Untouched Beauty

My biggest problem is when i feel a rough edge on my nails , so i make sure i file it away as soon as i can feel it.

Admittedly I now obsessivly file my nails, and do carry a file with me everywhere, I have them in my bag, on my desk at work, on my bedside table, in the lounge room, in my car..... and although my nails still aren't georgeous they do now have some length to them.

i've recently started taking and omega complex and Evening Primrose oil along with my multivite to help strenghthen them, bit to early to tell how thats going though

HTH
Polgara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #5
LittleFlower
Alluring Beauty

I came back just to wish you good luck Maybe try being more conscious of your biting, stop once you realise your nails are against your teeth. I also second the idea of keeping a nail file or clippers easily available. I used to chew on my nails a lot many years ago but one day I just decided I was sick of having raggedy short nails and started growing them out and keeping them neatly clipped. I still occasionally nibble but I no longer break or tear the nail like I used to.
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=#8b0000]~LittleFlower :flower:[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #6
amiaow
Untouched Beauty

i'm a stress-biter. i also bite even worse if my fingers just dont feel right or if there is a rough edge or basically if things aren't perfect! i find that painting my nails really helps. light colours do not work! get some nice bright pink! then they grow out and i dont notice any imperfections. usually by the time they have grown out i am almost out of the habit.

other than this, i haven't ever found a solution that works! good luck!
amiaow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #7
kimberlily
Divine Beauty

Have you tried those nail-biter products? You paint it on your nails and it is really bitter, so it gets your attention since you're probably not aware that you're doing it most of the time. I know a couple of people who used it and they said it helped.
kimberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Samara Morgan
Untouched Beauty

Hmmm - it's a tough one, I've just recently started growing my nails seriously and they were coming along fine, but one day I spotted a "kink" in the shape of my nail, I didn't have a file so I thought I'd nibble it back into shape......well.....let's just say I have nine long nails and now one incredibly short one lol ......I know this sounds strange, but I find that when you really feel like biting them, bite the nail polish instead.....I know, I'm strange ....
Samara Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I've had great success with the hoof lacquer I found at CVS. Cheap and effective.

My problem seems to be that my nails are naturally quite thin, and gaining length just makes my fingertips really sensitive, hence the biting.

Without the help of some sort of reinforcement, I need to keep my nails trimmed short (short) to avoid ripping at my nails with my teeth.

Another issue entirely is that of hangnails. I only get those if I use hand soaps that are too harsh and drying. Double check to see what you're using, and whether or not a more moisturising product would help.
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #10
13bodies
Raw Beauty

I was a horrible nail biter until I stopped when I was twelve. I painted my nails bright red every day. Stubby, chewed-up, red nails looked so horrible I was inspired not to bite them; plus the red would catch my eye when I'd forget myself and start to nibble on my fingers.