Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1
neoma
Alluring Beauty

Default Wearing eye makeup and lip balm

I always "do" my eyes: at least shadow and mascara, usually eyeliner on the bottom waterline and outside of the top lid.

I have an apartment full of lipstick, but 90% of the time, I end up wearing lip balm. I love how I look with freshly applied lipstick, but I'm always drinking something. After a cup of tea or glass of whatever, I have to reapply. At some point, I usually get fed up and just apply lip balm, because I can do that without a mirror. Not to mention, I really prefer the way it feels.

Sometimes I'll wear lip gloss, but I don't like the way most of them feel: too sticky.

My latest favorite lip balm is Badger Balm Cocoa Butter lip balm in Cool Mint. Coco butter (smells like white chocolate), peppermint and spearmint... Smells divine. And because of the cocoa butter, it's glossier than waxy lip balms.

Is anyone else like this?
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Holo
Untouched Beauty

Have you ever tried tinted lip balm? For me, it's the best of both worlds... enough color for nice rosy lips but natural looking and easy to reapply. And, of course, with the benefits of lip balm. I have Burt's Bees tinted lip balm in both Red Dahlia and Rose and both are wonderful. If I want glossier lips, I first apply the tinted lip balm and then a thin layer of Smith's Rosebud Salve.

As for regular lipsticks, I've never really bothered with them.
Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
LadyHeather
Sparkling Beauty

Yes, me. I always wear mascara and usually either black liner on the top lid or black liner on the bottom lid with a smudge of black liner at each outer corner. Sometimes I do full shadow and lower lashline liner for evenings but never for day.)

But I rarely bother with lipstick, even though I have loads of them. I look great in lipstick but it wears off so fast even if I line my lips and fill them in underneath.

The only way I tend to wear lipstick is to smudge a bit on my fingertip and then 'press' it into my lips after lining with a brush in the same colour. That seems to stay on and not look too 'done'. I use MAC Mocha for this. It's my 'your lips but better' shade.

The only lip balms I like are Lypsyl Peach, Lanolips, Nuxe and Palmers peppermint and chocolate. I suspect Etsy sells loads of nummy ones but I don't dare look, I don't need another obsession
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
neoma
Alluring Beauty

Yes, Holo. I have a number of tinted lip balms. Most recently, I bought Laura Mercier's tinted balm in Berry. But somehow I always end up in plain, colorless lip balm.

I'll have to try pressing my lipstick LadyHeather.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
strawberrygilliebean
Natural Beauty

neoma, have you considered a lip stain? That would give you long-wearing color, under plain lip balm. NYC makes some interesting colors that last hours and hours under reapplied-multiple-times lip balm, if you don't want to spring for pricier brands (there's also versions by Covergirl and Revlon, but I haven't tried them recently, and then of course, the grandmomma of them all, benetint.)
strawberrygilliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6
neoma
Alluring Beauty

Hi strawberrygilliebean. I have tried a number of lip stains and never gotten a look that I was really happy with. I may need to try again.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:07 PM   #7
strawberrygilliebean
Natural Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoma
Hi strawberrygilliebean. I have tried a number of lip stains and never gotten a look that I was really happy with. I may need to try again.
:nod: Oh yes, it's definitely trial and error. I've had colors that have made me look like I was drinking koolaid or eating my kids' crayons!
[url=http://www.meez.com/strawberrygillie][img]http://images.meez.com/user/7/0/2/7/1/3/3/8/66227568/70271338_bodyshot_175x233.gif[/img][/url]
strawberrygilliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
fridgee
Sparkling Beauty

On me, doing both eye and lip seems too much. I've got small eyes and reasonably full lips so I tend to emphasize my eyes more. I prefer lip balm as my lips get dry quickly, plus I've yet to find a shade of lipstick that doesn't accentuate my pale skin, I feel like I look like a doll in lipstick, but maybe it's just because I'm not used to myself in it. I had a lip and cheek stain from the bodyshop that was subtle but made a nice difference.

They used to do a 'seal' for lipstick (i can't remember what it was called) that you paint on top of your lipstick to get it to stay. Have you tried something like that? I didn't really like it because it made my lips feel drier, but might be worth a look if there are better versions around?
fridgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Gabriel
Untouched Beauty

I'm an eye make up wearer with minimal lips too. Lipstick and other make up is just too "made up" looking for me to wear all at once during the day, if that makes sense. The lip stains that came out are really good for that if I can find shades that look like my lip color naturally. That's tough though because those lip marker type of things don't ever look like on me what they say their color is!

Oh Mark (Avon) had a lip gloss/balm/in between type of stuff in a tube that adjusted naturally. I've had a tube for years now and dread running out of it because I'm afraid to check and find it's long been discontinued.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Brighteyes
Natural Beauty

I wear eye makeup almost every day. But I haven't worn lipstick in years. I don't think I even own lipstick right now. I love lip balm, both tinted and untinted. I recently found a couple Etsy shops that sell great lip balms. I guess I'm kind of addicted to the stuff lol.

I agree with the poster who said that eye makeup and lipstick can be too much. I love the natural look of my lips, with just a little shine added.
Brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote