Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Hand, Foot & Nail Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 8th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Default Getting REALLY Obsessed With Nails

I am one of those people who goes through cycles of obsession and right now im in a nail at and sewing phase but persuing the nail art more since its cheaper...for now .

I am mostly obsessed with sponge manicures. Sadly havent tried it yet but that hasnt stopped me from googling and youtubeing the day away on them lol. Also feeling in a sticker kind of mood. My ebay cart is full of tools and tape and i am armed with my sally's card an coupon!

Anyone who's actually done this kind of stuff have advice or tips for someone who's nails take alot of abuse? Thats why sponging appeals to me its less perfect and im more likely to be able to touch it up. I want to try one of those bonding base coats like stickey to see if it helps, i would love to be able to wear a manicure for more than 1 or 2 days....4 or 5 would be a dream but i doubt that will happen with my hands being in water as often as they are. I think doing ombe sheer glitters sounds fun!

What other inspiration do you all have?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Truepenny
Raw Beauty

I'm mad for nail art too

I don't have many nail art toys at all, just heaps of colours, pens, gems, glitter and stickers because they're cheap! I really like 'clever' polishes for quick and effective designs, like the crackle polishes and magnetic polishes (which come in loads of designs and colours and, again, aren't massively expensive.) Check those out if you've not seen them before because they're really, really fun )

I've not done sponging either yet, but I'm about ready to change my design in the next few days so I'll definitely do a rainbow sponge mani next!
Truepenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Delila
Enticing Beauty

I haven't done any sponging, but I did get a cheap supply of sponge tipped eye shadow applicators to do the job. Since they're also useful for dabbing on streaky polishes (so the final layer doesn't streak), I figure it's a reasonable investment.

Nail stamping is fun too, but honestly I went kinda overboard and now have way more design plates than I really need. The Bundle Monster sets I got off Amazon seem to be the more frugal option, but I do like some of the Konad plates more than any others I've seen, they're just so useful for the designs I really want to wear.

As for extending polish wear, I find that using a good base coat, a good ridge filler, a nail hardener and a good top coat to support the layers of colored polish really does help my manicure last longer. I don't use quick dry top coats much any more, because they do tend to chip. The way I handle it, is just to get things organized so I have the time to do my nails and then just wait for them to dry completely. Typing on the internet is not a problem, but if I'm careful, neither is reading a book or watching tv.

As much as I'd love to be fastidious in my use of things like dishwashing gloves, and not use my index finger nails as tools in various ways, I can never manage to avoid some damage. Oh, well.

I have kinda mastered the art of replacing polish on just one or two fingers, when I really don't have time for a full mani.

Sorry to ramble, but I do understand the frustration of working hard to create a pretty design only to have it wrecked all too quickly.

ETA: have you seen loodie loodie loodie's blog? She's got lots of great advice.

http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.c...hat-lasts.html
Delila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
JamieLeigh
Radiant Beauty

I'm a mom of 5/housewife/writer/jewelry maker/crafter, so I use my hands a LOT. To say I don't always have neat-looking nails is the understatement of the year. I mostly just do the things Delila already outlined in her comment, and hope for the best.
JamieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Gah i think ive over googled myself into indecision *smacks head* but i thingk tonight i cracked it. I have my 15% off sally's coupon and im fairly certain im going with orly bonder base and out the door top coat. I hardly ever pint my fingers and my toes are near always done so the yellowing factor of the bonder doesnt scare me. I still debate about getting cnd stickey instead but i have had good luck with most orly's except the old glass shine top coat. I am a reearch type and sometimes that gets me into trouble especially with investment items like base/tops.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

oh i cant make up my mind on anything can I? Went to target and sally's today and ended up with 3 sunful polishes, out the door top coat, orly armor liquid slk wrap, and an china glaze crackle that was on clearance. Between that and some gifts i picked up i spend enough to get another 15% off coupon next month so i'll get sticky or bonder then. Today i was in a nail art mood.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Found a new channel today and subscribed right away! Youtube love4nails has amazing stuff the faux snakeskin mani hooked me and the dragonly kept me.

Nail Blog ~[url]http://polishedpisces.blogspot.com/~[/url]
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #8
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Well i went ahead and bought my first round of supplies dotters, brushes, striping tape, rhinestones, acrylic paints, and sample disks. They wont be here for a while but im excited to play with them!

Old October 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

My birdie inspired me this evening . I realize on my last haul i bought three colors that match my lovebird so im thinking of doing a sponge gradient manicure to match her. Aqua base, green middle, and peach tips it works for her so why not!

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #10
jacqueline101
Alluring Beauty

I'd like to try the whole nail stickers or nail stickers.