Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Aredhel77
Alluring Beauty

Default Gluten Free/Wheat Free recipes?

Hello!

When I hit 30, my allergies went all over the place.

I seem to have developed an intolerance to wheat. When I eat wheat-containing products (for example if I have one sandwich at lunchtime with regular bread), I then feel crazily full/slightly sick for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately I love bread.

I have had this checked by my doctor. It isn't celiacs disease, so in my case it's a bit of an intolerance. I've dramatically reduced the amount of wheat products that I consume and have purchase gluten-free pasta and plain and self-raising flours. I still do eat regular bread on occasion, but then I suffer for it.

So - would you like to post your wheat-free and gluten-free recipes?

Sweet or savoury, I don't mind. I'm still searching for a good bread recipe as the shop-bought GF ones are always very heavy.

Maybe specify first if the recipe is definitely suitable for celiacs sufferers.

I'm in the UK but I do have some American measuring cups! So whatever measuring system you want to use is fine

Post away!
Aredhel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel77
Hello!

When I hit 30, my allergies went all over the place.

I seem to have developed an intolerance to wheat. When I eat wheat-containing products (for example if I have one sandwich at lunchtime with regular bread), I then feel crazily full/slightly sick for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately I love bread.

I have had this checked by my doctor. It isn't celiacs disease, so in my case it's a bit of an intolerance. I've dramatically reduced the amount of wheat products that I consume and have purchase gluten-free pasta and plain and self-raising flours. I still do eat regular bread on occasion, but then I suffer for it.

So - would you like to post your wheat-free and gluten-free recipes?

Sweet or savoury, I don't mind. I'm still searching for a good bread recipe as the shop-bought GF ones are always very heavy.

Maybe specify first if the recipe is definitely suitable for celiacs sufferers.

I'm in the UK but I do have some American measuring cups! So whatever measuring system you want to use is fine

Post away!

Not sure if they have it over there but if you like bead you will love udi's! About to sit down to some soup right no but i'll be back later
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
spookyghost
Radiant Beauty

Well if I get any I will share them. I think I may be gluten intolerant to an extent. Its not severe. I have read about celiacs disease and gluten intolerance that is really severe and mine is really livable.

Im not really sure Im gluten intolerant-I didnt go to a dr or anything. But I put myself on a really strict diet for about three months. Not because I thought my body didnt like gluten but because I was tired of having a hard time losing fat so I thought I would be really strict and see where it took me. So I ate protein and I got my carbs from fruits and veggies. I did not eat bread, wheat, rice, or other carbs and starches. I did drink a protein drink for lunch and Im sure it probably had gluten in it because it wasnt home made.

My results-No headaches at all! I was having headaches everyday-just regular ones. No bloating. My stomach used to look 7 months pregnant it was ridiculous. I dont feel sick anymore.

I didnt realize I was cutting down on gluten until someone on LHC was saying how she cut out gluten and her symptoms, similar to mine, all but disappeared. She said she was only cutting it out because of severe acne and one bonus to it was her moodiness, stress, and anxiety was almost gone! That interested me evern more than my other symptoms. My stress and anxiety can be off the charts sometimes but I wont go on meds because I have tried them before and they all made me gain weight-and lots of it.

So I havent tried this full force yet. My nutrition has not been good lately and I do feel like crap. So Im thinking of at least going back on my diet that I was on because even though I wasnt completely gluten-free I was pretty close and felt pretty darn good.

If I come across any recipies I will post them!
spookyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

Oh goodness, I have so many! Haha.

One of the best things I make that is gluten-free... PEANUTBUTTERCOOKIES.

I half this recipe and use natural crunchy peanut butter (and organic evaporated cane sugar- the sugar and peanut butter types make all the difference in the world for tastiness): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-pe...er/detail.aspx

Have you tried spelt flour? I have an intolerance as well, but not celiac, and spelt is fine for me! You can replace flour with spelt in a 1:1 ratio, because it's basically ancient wheat (but I think it's technically not wheat).

I'll add more recipes tomorrow or the day after! It's getting late and I have a bit of craziness tomorrow for school.

Last edited by AineMuirne : October 9th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
AineMuirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

Sorry for double post- I don't think I can edit yet. D:

I'll add more recipes tomorrow or the day after. It's getting late and I have a bit of craziness for school tomorrow.

Are you looking primarily for things that usually include gluten/wheat re-done to be gluten-free or any gluten/wheat-free recipe? Once I seriously committed to stopping wheat/grains, it became really easy to stay off of it because I use soo maaany regular recipes that don't include grains that are ultra tasty.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

I tend to use mixes when it comes to breads. I love pamelas bread mix, but the glutino pastry mix makes better pie crusts (both celiac approved gluten free brands btw) both use a mixture of rice flour and sorghum flour.

I also use coconut flour occasionally, though these recipies tend to use a lot of eggs, which make me cranky so I try to avoid them.
http://www.alphahealth.ca/coconutflour.html

Depending on your other allergies, I make GF linguini with alfredo sauce (using parmesian cheese, butter, garlic, double devon cream, parsley) and I also have used GF lasanga noodles to make lasagna. The spagetti ones get used a lot too.

When making burgers, meatballs, or meatloaf, I use neither eggs nor crackers, but I have on occasion thrown in a cup of parmesian cheese as filler (works great).

I have made GF cinnamon rolls in the past, I will try to find the recipe.

FrozenBritannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Indigo Girl
Natural Beauty

I just found out I am allergic to wheat, which I am still getting accustomed to...there appears to be some form of wheat in just about everything!

I am already a vegan, so finding foods that fit both criteria is a bit more challenging.

I don't really have many recipes to contribute at the moment, but I do like Tinkyada brand brown rice pasta, with plain tomato sauce that I season myself and a salad with homemade vegan Caesar dressing. I usually like garlic bread with that meal too, but that is now in progress as I haven't found a suitable bread for myself yet.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, and will contribute recipes as I get them!
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #8
afu
Sparkling Beauty

thanks for linking that cookie recipe

I've switched to a paleo diet recently which is really helping with my depression and insomnia, but the past 2 days I have been really craving biscuits with my tea! I'll be trying this recipe asap, I know the sugar content isn't particularly paleo but as long as it's grain-free I should be fine, I'll probably sub the peanut butter for almond butter too.
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #9
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

I'm paleo, too. I do eat dairy, though. And oooonce in a while (about once a month) some spelt flour, since I'm not trying to lose weight.
[/SIZE]
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
afu
Sparkling Beauty

I baked the cookies linked, I used mostly almond butter (a bit of peanut butter as i ran out of almond), less sugar and no salt. I also added a couple of handfuls of whole mixed nuts. They are AMAZING, so happy to have a grain free biscuit option.
afu is offline   Reply With Quote