Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Fashion!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
battles
Untouched Beauty

Default Layering for winter/fall. Dresses and tights?

I'm having an extremely difficult time finding dresses that I could wear at least fall/winter, if not year round.

What dress styles are suitable with thicker tights and leggings? I like Modcloth, Ruche, Lily Boutique sort of stuff but I'm pretty much lost with putting pieces together.
battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Dovetail
Raw Beauty

*-* I love modcloth!

But, I think a lot of dresses can be converted to winter time dresses. I think fit& Flare or A line type dresses look nice with tights, the flare keeps you from seeing the waistband. I like to wear garter belts >.> and such and I think tighter form fitting dresses (think jersey knit @.@) can show off things you might not want people to see (like panty lines, if you have them) It also depends on where you're going, I wear diffrent things to work than I would out for the night.

Also, it depends on your body frame and of course what flatters you best. You can take a cute summer type dress and layer a cardigan over it some cute pumps too.

I was going to make up a cute example, but all the dresses on modcloth that I thought were totally cute were like $100.00 and that's just outrageous~(http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...-dress-in-blue Like this one *-* Omg so cute!) I'll update with some dresses that I think are cute and useable year round~

OKie ^^ Like, This adorable yellow dress! with a creamy white or maybe light grey peacoat, or maybe a light weight lacey cardigan then some neutral tights and adorable pumps <3

Or, if you're more of a rocker type city gal This sultry red number with a hip leather bomber jacket, or maybe even a black belted trench. You could go with boots, or heels, or even flats! if you keep the shoes toned down, and the coat toned down you could even get away with some wild patterned tights. Like these *-*

I'm also loving This royal blue one I thin it would look so lovely with a lace black cardigan, or even a black jacket of some kind, and I bet you could even get away with vibrant shoes or wild tights (but not both @.@) Maybe even a black cinch belt around your waist would be cute~ or if you're into it, you could even go with a complimentary orange color...ooh or even a deep red oxblood color <3 (they have it in black too but it's sold out right now :x )

I think all three of those dresses could even be put with a blazer for work if you don't have a uniform.

Last edited by Dovetail : October 4th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

ok i have no idea what any of those are lol. I bought some cute heavy knit dresses out of season at khols that i wear with tights and knit leggings. wore one toda actually cute brown cowl neck . I think heavier knits and cottons go best with opaque legwear. My favoite ones are navy style hidden zipp up with big togles down the front. I a few colors i wear it my fleece lined tights when it gets cool
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #4
mrs_coffee
Untouched Beauty

Most of my winter dresses are like this one: ModCloth Dress That particular dress is one of my favorites. I like the warmth and the material and the length looks nice with boots. I wear it a lot.
mrs_coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

I think any kind of skirts or dresses can be worn in the wintertime and they look especially good with some knee-high boots which will also help you stay warm.

If you like to wear shorter skirts or knee-long skirts and low shoes, a good idea is to wear thick one color stockings and layer some patterned thinner (partially see through) stockings on top. They will give you extra layer to keep you warm and make your stockings look extra cute. This expecially works with simple colored skirts and dresses combined with brighter colored stockings.
Old October 7th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #6
JamieLeigh
Radiant Beauty

I've been known to shop at Sock Dreams first, and plan the outfit around my tights.
JamieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #7
Truepenny
Raw Beauty

My best tactic for layering in the autumn/winter:

Knee length, flat, water proof boots
Knitted tights (in grey, purple or brown)
Sleeveless/short sleeved tunic type dress*
Long sleeved high/turtle neck top (under the dress :P)
Waist belt.
Possibly a long, thin boyfriend cardigan over the top too.

Lots of thin layers is the key for me, and concentrates on keeping your core warm.

*I'm vintage mad, and have found that all most all vintage dresses are made from thicker, warmer and more hard wearing fabrics than a lot of modern clothing. Tis the season to wear vintage

Edit: Visit RUSTYZIPPER.COM for vintage clothing inspiration. It's US based, but ships everywhere (I think). I love it (and am UK based)

Last edited by Truepenny : October 8th, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
Truepenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Gabriel
Untouched Beauty

I'm so interested in layering dresses! I have a few basic pieces but need to get a pair of boots.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #9
Katze
Dazzling Beauty

wow I had never seen that modcloth site before. Gorgeous, just how I like to dress, but I don't think their stuff would ever fit me (I have about a 40D bust, am around a US size 14). Lovely ideas though!

I like the dress, leggings, long socks, legwarmers look. Accentuates my shapely legs. Sometimes with a long underwear shirt or turtle under the dress. I bike every day, though, so that can get pretty drafty for much of the year. Those looks work best in our climate and as a cyclist for cold dry days or fall/spring.
Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Indigo Girl
Natural Beauty

I layer dresses with tights in the fall and winter. Personally, I don't feel like I need a different style or material of dress to wear in the colder months. I use just about all of my dresses and skirts year round (unless the color theme is obviously very spring or summer) and just wear them with coordinating tights and sweaters.
Indigo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote