Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #11
joflakes
Dazzling Beauty

Oops! I missed your recipe! Haha. i used this recipe:

http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/cake.html

but minus the vinegar and I used wholemeal self-raising flour and brown sugar. Nom!

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Joined[/COLOR]: [COLOR=Magenta]October 13th 2011[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Post count[/COLOR]: [COLOR=Magenta]2300[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hair improvement[/COLOR]: [COLOR=Magenta]Immense! [/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
joflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #12
joflakes
Dazzling Beauty

....only slight issue is that now I can't be bothered to make any lunch and all I have is cake. Oh, it's a hard life! *laugh*

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Joined[/COLOR]: [COLOR=Magenta]October 13th 2011[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Post count[/COLOR]: [COLOR=Magenta]2300[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hair improvement[/COLOR]: [COLOR=Magenta]Immense! [/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
joflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Hillary
Raw Beauty

Vegan here! (3+years)

I've found the best thing when cooking for one (or, as I've had to do in the past, cooking for myself and a significant other who is an omnivore) is to have decent freezer space. The freezer is your friend. Or mine at least!

Same sort of concept behind OAMC (once-a-month-cooking). I make a GIANT veggie meal, portion it off, vaccum seal it in bags, freeze. It's boring at first. BUT, after you've done that a few times over the weeks, you start having a stash of ready to go veggie meals.

Sides work easy too. I LOVE potatoes and caluliflower mashed together. Some garlic or rosemary in there, some Earth Balance, and I'm a happy girl. And it freezes really well.

Breakfast too, actually. I smush up lite tofu, cook it with onions and peppers, add some kala namak salt for that egg-like flavor, and bake it into patties. Those, heated, on an English muffin with some vegan cheese and I've got a really quick breakfast too. Oatmeal (I like Irish steel cut oats, and I SO don't have time to cook that on the regular!) freezes well too.

If you're concerned about microwaving tons of stuff, a lot of stuff reheats well in the oven, some in boiling water, some in the toaster oven.

If I don't plan ahead, I end up eating WAY too much expensive convenience vegan food. Don't get me wrong, Gardein makes me SUPER happy but it makes my wallet miserable.

And now, with all your cake talk, I kind of want to drive to Whole Foods and grab some Moo Cluck cupcakes. Mmmmmm.... *nom*
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary
Vegan here! (3+years)

I've found the best thing when cooking for one (or, as I've had to do in the past, cooking for myself and a significant other who is an omnivore) is to have decent freezer space. The freezer is your friend. Or mine at least!

Same sort of concept behind OAMC (once-a-month-cooking). I make a GIANT veggie meal, portion it off, vaccum seal it in bags, freeze. It's boring at first. BUT, after you've done that a few times over the weeks, you start having a stash of ready to go veggie meals.

Sides work easy too. I LOVE potatoes and caluliflower mashed together. Some garlic or rosemary in there, some Earth Balance, and I'm a happy girl. And it freezes really well.

Breakfast too, actually. I smush up lite tofu, cook it with onions and peppers, add some salt for that egg-like flavor, and bake it into patties. Those, heated, on an English muffin with some vegan cheese and I've got a really quick breakfast too. Oatmeal (I like Irish steel cut oats, and I SO don't have time to cook that on the regular!) freezes well too.

If you're concerned about microwaving tons of stuff, a lot of stuff reheats well in the oven, some in boiling water, some in the toaster oven.

If I don't plan ahead, I end up eating WAY too much expensive convenience vegan food. Don't get me wrong, Gardein makes me SUPER happy but it makes my wallet miserable.

And now, with all your cake talk, I kind of want to drive to Whole Foods and grab some Moo Cluck cupcakes. Mmmmmm.... *nom*

Oh yes the freezer is a gloious object! Split pea soup freezes very well as does mexican rice and vindaloo i keep those on hand. I generally make enough to fill 4 quart size zip lock plus 4 - 6 snack bags for traveling. And agreed about steel cut oats warm that up and toss in some frozen frruit and maple syrup..... guess im making oats this weekend hahaha.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Hillary
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia
Oh yes the freezer is a gloious object! Split pea soup freezes very well as does mexican rice and vindaloo i keep those on hand. I generally make enough to fill 4 quart size zip lock plus 4 - 6 snack bags for traveling. And agreed about steel cut oats warm that up and toss in some frozen frruit and maple syrup..... guess im making oats this weekend hahaha.

I might have to make oats this weekend too. YUM. And possibly some chana masala. I LOVE to have lots of chana masala on hand. I use the recipe from Manjula's Kitchen because I love her and want her to be my adoptive aunt. I've made naan from her site too, subbing the non-vegan items for vegan-friendly ones. And holy crow. It's SO GOOD OMG.

I also freeze a pureed veggie soup that I love in the winter... I don't know if it has a name. I just saute onions a minute, and then cook down LOTS of zucchini and potato and some celery in veggie broth, add some spinach toward the end, season with salt and pepper and fresh herbs (sage and thyme for sure) or dried italian herbs. Then when it's cooled a bit I use an immersion blender to turn it into creamy green deliciousness.

Also, I have to ask because my insatiable curiosity is getting the better of me... Did you clip the "kala namak" before the word "salt" in my post, or did the forum ghosts do that?

Yes, I admit it. I am that totally insane person who HAS to know the answer to those little things that niggle and pick at my brain, or I will lose sleep wondering about them.
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Also, I have to ask because my insatiable curiosity is getting the better of me... Did you clip the "kala namak" before the word "salt" in my post, or did the forum ghosts do that?

Yes, I admit it. I am that totally insane person who HAS to know the answer to those little things that niggle and pick at my brain, or I will lose sleep wondering about them.

How odd! I did go straight to amazon after reading that to add it to my cart but i did the cut an paste after replying, spooky!
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Hillary
Raw Beauty

Quote:
How odd! I did go straight to amazon after reading that to add it to my cart but i did the cut an paste after replying, spooky!

Lol. That is spooky! It IS October after all. (I love that salt. I just got some as a gift recently actually, because I had run out of the bitty bag I had. So fun and useful for anything egg-tasting. Tofu egg salad, faux deviled eggs, egg patties for breakfast sandwiches... YUM!!!)
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Indigo Girl
Natural Beauty

Quote:

Echoing this suggestion! This is what I do too.
Indigo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #19
Natalia
Elegant Beauty

Quote:
Lol. That is spooky! It IS October after all. (I love that salt. I just got some as a gift recently actually, because I had run out of the bitty bag I had. So fun and useful for anything egg-tasting. Tofu egg salad, faux deviled eggs, egg patties for breakfast sandwiches... YUM!!!)

Im looking forard to trying it! Never heard of it before, cant have tofu but i figure maybe it will that something to my chickpea mock eggs.
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Hillary
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Im looking forard to trying it! Never heard of it before, cant have tofu but i figure maybe it will that something to my chickpea mock eggs.

Definitely will work there! It's got that mild sulfur taste that hard-boiled eggs have... It SMELLS like eggs. Be sparing though, I've definitely used too much. Eeeeek!