Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Make-up
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 11th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Libbylou
Natural Beauty

Default Favorite Brick and Mortar Make up store?

Ok, I live about equal distance to Sephora and Ulta. Which store do you like better?
I have only been to each once. Sephora was out of state and their customer service was great. Ulta was opened a month and I visited and no one would help me, even after I asked a couple times. Needless to say an email was sent and of course no reply.
The Sephora nearest me is inside a JCPenney if that matters.
Libbylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Carolyn
Aphrodite
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at ULTA. I would hope their customer service has improved. Don't think your email went unnoticed because you didn't get a reply. My experiences at both Sephora and ULTA have been very good. I've only been to a JC Penney Sephora twice but I know they have less selection than the stand alone Sephora stores. If I was making the decision on which store to go to, I would decide based on which one had what I wanted. I like to do some on line research before I go and make a choice based on that. There are a lot of things both stores carry and some are exclusive to each store. ULTA has a new frequent shopper program that is very nice. Points don't expire and you get cash off on future purchases. It's been working very well for me. They also have $3.50 off coupons all the time and at least 2 20% off your whole purchase deals every year. It's well worth signing up for. Sephora has point system too. They have at least one 20% off deal every year. It seems like there has been 2 this year but I could be wrong. You get a nice bottle of Philosophy body wash for your birthday but I think you have to be in the store to get it. Your points get you bonus deals which change about every month. They are often little sample collections. A lot of the sample things are pretty good sized.

What specifically are you shopping for? Both carry Bare Minerals, Benefit, Too Faced, Urban Decay and others. Both have their own store brands which I think are pretty good.

THe ULTA stores with brow bars also has a free brow waxing on your birthday. It has to be on the exact day and you have to show your ID. I've done that twice. Pretty cool.

[COLOR=Purple]Make up Products: [COLOR=Magenta]MAC, Benefit, Too Faced, and Bare Escentuals

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise][COLOR=Purple][COLOR=Magenta][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia][I]Proud Product Ho :kiss: [/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
biogirl87
Radiant Beauty

It's not one of the stores you've mentioned, so I don't know how much help this will give you, but I get pretty much all of my makeup from Walmart. For eyeliner, foundation, and maybe blush in the future, I like to start at the makeup section of Macy's to get the opinion of their make up on what shades work best with my skin or eye color.
Growing till BSL (for now)
biogirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Shell
Dazzling Beauty

I often do my makeup shopping at Nordstroms, as I like to get advice on lipstick colors. They also have an excellent return policy and great costumer service. If you get a Mod Card with them (it's kind of like a credit card, but comes directly from your bank account--I'd only trust Nordie's to do this!), you can accrue points to get $20 off coupons.

I also love Sephora and Ulta. I think that they both have great service, and which one I go to depends on what I'm shopping for, as Carolyn said, and if I have a coupon. Ulta is a lot closer to me, except of the Sephoras in Penney's. Those are nice, but very small. All of the Western BB cream samples I've gotten are from Sephora, Ulta, and Nordie's. Sephora even carries one Korean one--Dr. Jart+.

The bad thing about drug stores or discount stores, is they can't give you samples and they don't usually have MAs (makeup assistants) to help you with questions. A few years back, I was shopping for a new perfume. I don't buy them or change perfumes often; I tend to have a signature scent (Prada Infusion Iris), and then a few other special occasion/mood perfumes. I went to all the big department stores, as well as doing a lot of online research. I spent so much time in Nordstroms trying on perfume, that one of the salesladies there got to know Del and I by name. We still wave to Janet when she's in, and sometimes she'll flag me over to try something new she think I'll like--that's service! She also helps Del buy me a present once in awhile at the perfume counter.

Other than that, there are a few products I get at CVS or Target, for example, my son's conditioner, Kinky Curly's Knot Today is available only at Target or online. I also get my eye cleaner at Target pharmacy, and they are great there--they always order them for me if they're out and then call when they get them in.

Online, the only place I buy makeup is Just For Redheads, because I can't get their stuff in any brick-and-mortar store. I definitely prefer to see and try on makeup, and get advice from people who know what they are doing, instead of my, often bad, guesses! I have been trying Korean BB creams too, and they are all from online, except the above mentioned Dr. Jart+. We do have some stores that sell them, but they are far down in San Diego, and I doubt that they will give out samples, but I may try anyway; what can they say, no?
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
afu
Sparkling Beauty

Im in england so we don't have those shops here. My favourite is Boots (not biased even though i work there!) I'm not a big makeup buyer though - just one black liquid eyeliner, one mascara and one lipstick at a time. I get my BB cream online, I don't like the western ones
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

My closest Sephora and Ulta are in the Valley so I don't get to them very often unless I want to shop online but half the fun of shopping at those stores is the fun of going in, swatching goodies, the way the air smells and the nice service. I can't get all that online.

Locally, I have Walgreen's and CVS for my drugstore makeup purchases. Happily they both have great return policies so I don't worry about buying something I might not like. For mid tier and higher end makeup there is a small Dillard's at my local mall with a halfway decent selection of a limited range of brands.

Small towns really suck for shopping. :P
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Angelistarr
Sparkling Beauty

I've never been to an ulta in NYC but I have been in Florida and I didn't like their customer service although I loved their selection. Sephora I've only been here in the city and although I did enjoy their customers service, I didn't like how unorganized the place was.

[SIZE="1"][B]2c/3a:MC:III
Current: maintaining APL (until after boot camp!)
Current Goal: WAIST!![/B][/SIZE]
Angelistarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
jacqueline101
Alluring Beauty

I like family dollar for my make up go to.