Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > The Beauty Bottle Beauty Discussion Board > Lifestyle Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 7th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #21
Katze
Dazzling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreen
WSL, I might be strange. I used anti-depressants for three years and during that time tried to come to terms with my health issues. Once I felt in control, I weaned myself off the med slowly. I tried several of them, did the best on WEllbutrin XL, but it made my blood pressure go up.

This is interesting, Justy. My mom has been on Prozac for years, no interest in weaning herself off or getting any kind of therapy... She also has irritable bowel, spinal stenosis, her skin is getting like tissue paper (at the age of 67!) and a host of other symptoms which all seem to affect and exacerbate each other.

It sounds like your fibro is manageable? I had no idea there was medication for it...my mom takes pain meds and gets regular exercise (water aerobics and walking) but basically lives in pain most of the time. Maybe hers is just an extreme form?
Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #22
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

I think a lot of fibro is the mental capacity to deal with it. Some people seem to, some peopel don't seem to. My MIL has tried every drug, even some experimental procedures to alleviate her pain and she cannot handle any of it. She has a very traumatic past and she just doesn't deal with anything well, let alone chronic pain.
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #23
FrozenBritannia
Elegant Beauty

People have different pain tolerances as well, and it can even vary in the same person. I have a skin hypersensitivity that makes things like paper cuts have me in tears, but I have been walking around on a dislocated knee-cap for a year and most days I am fine, feel normal. Internal injuries or aches I barely feel- probably the reason I have had so many muscle and ligament injuries in my life, couldn't feel the strain.

I know my mother has pretty well stopped eating over heartburn. When I went through it, I just ate only stuff that I really enjoyed and was worth the heartburn or ulcer pain. She can't/won't though as it hurts too much for her even though the docs say her stomach is fine and last I talked to her it sounds like she has given up entirely.

As for the late night debate, I get nothing done at night. Half the time I don't even do the pots and pans dishes till morning. I would say my most productive time of day is right after lunch though, I usually feel like I am waking from the depths of a grave when my alarm goes off, and aside from making the kids lunchboxes and a cup of tea or coffee I am pretty well incapable of doing anything else for at least an hour. Well, I do check my online things. LOL.
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #24
justgreen
~Aphrodite in her nighty~
The Beauty Bottle Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
This is interesting, Justy. My mom has been on Prozac for years, no interest in weaning herself off or getting any kind of therapy... She also has irritable bowel, spinal stenosis, her skin is getting like tissue paper (at the age of 67!) and a host of other symptoms which all seem to affect and exacerbate each other.

It sounds like your fibro is manageable? I had no idea there was medication for it...my mom takes pain meds and gets regular exercise (water aerobics and walking) but basically lives in pain most of the time. Maybe hers is just an extreme form?

I have very severe Fibro, which went unchecked since my late 20's. I finally got a diagnosis and help about 6.5 years ago. I am now 56. The medicine I take is crucial to my pain relief. Neurontin (Gabapentin generic) tells my brain to tell my nerve endings to 'SHUT THE FRAK UP!'

I take pain medication for a totally different condition. I have two bad discs , L4/L5 that are almost touching, with arthritis in between. I have arthritis in both knees, the right knee is worse , has a cyst behind it that collects fluid which a radiologist drains off every two months. He also injects steroids through the fronts of both kneecaps every two months which gives me incredible pain relief.

I have bone spurs on BOTH achilles tendons and haven't been able to wear shoes with heel backs on them for the last three years.

And last but not least I only have one working lung due to a birth defect, no pulmonary artery from the heart to the right lung. I am now on oxygen 24/7, 4 litres, have been for almost five years now. While the lung thing doesn't really cause pain, breathing wrong causes lots of muscle spasming in my back from shoulders down to right below my waist.

Even taking the Neurontin, I still have a few flares every year, certain things bring them on, like atmospheric pressure for one. When I go into a flare, I simply give up, don't fight it, and spend at least a day in bed. If I do this, I can get through it much faster.

Everyone is different but I am a firm believer in mind over matter about some things. I had to WANT to be able to get around and do things I enjoyed doing. I had to take the initiative to wean myself off the depression meds and follow through.

Yes, I am addicted to my pain meds, but I am a high functioning sick person. I don't lie around stoned on my meds a lot like some folks do. And because of this my doctor is very trusting and listens to me and generally gives me what I request because he knows I am not going to abuse it.
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #25
WaitingSoLong
Captivating Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreen
I have very severe Fibro, which went unchecked since my late 20's. I finally got a diagnosis and help about 6.5 years ago. I am now 56. The medicine I take is crucial to my pain relief. Neurontin (Gabapentin generic) tells my brain to tell my nerve endings to 'SHUT THE FRAK UP!'

I take pain medication for a totally different condition. I have two bad discs , L4/L5 that are almost touching, with arthritis in between. I have arthritis in both knees, the right knee is worse , has a cyst behind it that collects fluid which a radiologist drains off every two months. He also injects steroids through the fronts of both kneecaps every two months which gives me incredible pain relief.

:::snip:::

Everyone is different but I am a firm believer in mind over matter about some things. I had to WANT to be able to get around and do things I enjoyed doing. I had to take the initiative to wean myself off the depression meds and follow through.

Yes, I am addicted to my pain meds, but I am a high functioning sick person. I don't lie around stoned on my meds a lot like some folks do. And because of this my doctor is very trusting and listens to me and generally gives me what I request because he knows I am not going to abuse it.

Justy, my MIL has collapsed discs in her cervical vertebrae (something like that) and arthritis in both knees. She has been having a knee replacement for a couple years now but they can't manage her pain enough to get her mobile enough to do the procedure. She had back/neck surgery twice before I met them (prior to 2010).

A lot of doctors think her fibro is mental. She DOES have mental issues, severe depression, the trauma like I said, and she is one who just seems more motivated to feel sorry for herself than anything. I feel bad for her, I truly do. I can see how she can feel sorry for herself, too, but her quality of life is so poor, I honestly don't understand it, any of it, at all. I am just not in her shoes and it seems like XYZ could be helpful but???

I try hard not to judge her at all, but she can be hard to be around when she is in "poor me" mode. Honestly, though, sometimes I wonder if a lot of her pain is a physical manifestation of the childhood trauma she had she refuses to let go of. I talked to my dad about it once (licensed counselor, PTSD among other things) and asked him why, after all these years, she can't make peace with it all somehow. He gave me a kind explanation of why not, but it is still incomprehensible to me.

She, too, is addicted to her pain meds, that is just part of the process of being on them. She goes on and off them, slowly, otherwise she eventually reaches a place where no dosage will help her. When she is weaning off, she is actually the most pleasant but in the most pain (???). I think the mental state exacerbates the physical state at some point.

It helps me to talk about it. DH and I have no idea how to be around her anymore. Her personality has changed through the last 10 years and she lives almost next door so we just stink at dealing with it. I don't know if her personality is all mental issues with her meds, or if it really is just her. Honestly, sometimes it seems very put on. I truly have no idea what we would do if my FIL died. It would no doubt fall to us to care for her and I am in no way capable of handling it.

Sorry to get off here. I never talk about this and it burdens me so. I have gone with her to surgery and just wish I could do something to help her.
WaitingSoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #26
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

I can never deal with the "woe is me" type of person, either. I just don't know what to say. I like it when people come to grips with their problems and look for a way to cope and/or get out of it, rather than just screaming that their life sucks. Those are the types of people I'm willing to help.

I'm also definitely a firm believer in "mind over matter." I feel overjoyed when I hear about a sick person who tries so hard to function normally despite it.
[/SIZE]
AineMuirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #27
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by afu
In the UK there always seems to be disagreements on what you should call meal times; some people have breakfast, dinner, tea and others say breakfast, lunch, dinner. It appears that 'dinner' is the large meal of the day so geographical area plays a large part - traditionally some areas would have their large, main meal in the middle of the day and others at night. I'm a 'breakfast, dinner, tea' kind of person!

I have always been a night person until recently,the past year that got to the extreme with my insomnia. Since going paleo my internal clock seems to be shifting, im definitly not a morning person, but I find it easier to have early nights and get up early and my most productive time of day has shifted from late evening to afternoon.

Melatonin is not legal here without prescription (and from what i know it is rarely even given by doctors), plus im not keen on messing with my hormones too much. I did take sleeping tablets every so often through my insomnia but they didn't help me to feel well rested and alert in the morning

You know, my shift to being a morning person coincided with going paleo. I wonder if that has some type of correlation.

Something that REALLY makes a difference in how I feel after waking/during the rest of the day is taking a tablespoonful of coconut oil every morning upon waking. I have noticed a HUGE difference between the days I forget and the days I don't.
[/SIZE]
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #28
afu
Sparkling Beauty

I might try the coconut oil thing, thanks for the tip. It will be extremely hard as i don't like the taste or the texture, but i might as well give it a try. I do find that having a high fat breakfast does me the world of good.

Apparently the paleo/morning person thing is quite common
afu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #29
AineMuirne
Raw Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by afu
I might try the coconut oil thing, thanks for the tip. It will be extremely hard as i don't like the taste or the texture, but i might as well give it a try. I do find that having a high fat breakfast does me the world of good.

Apparently the paleo/morning person thing is quite common

The more fat I eat, the better I feel and the fewer migraines I get. Good fats, that is, of course, from eggs and high quality meat and nuts. I usually eat 2 eggs and homemade ground beef sausage for breakfast.

You can add the coconut oil to a morning smoothie or milk if you drink it (I don't remember if you're a non-dairy paleo) or something like that so you don't have to taste it so much. I'm not a -huge- fan of having a mouthful of the coconut oil texture, but I can get by with it if I just get it over with, haha.
[/SIZE]
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #30
Kat12
Untouched Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze

Yeah, this is my mom too. Although hers is piled on top of very bad arthritis and a host of other medical problems as well. She doesn't have "flares" like I hear so many people talking about-- she's simply in pain, 24-7. Relieving her pain would probably require strong narcotics

(But no, Waiting, I don't think it has to do with any lacking of moral fiber on her part... my mom's a tough lady. Heaven knows I'd've jumped off a bridge long ago if I had her problems-- and I'm praying I don't inherit them.)
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote