View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #21
Ocelan
Sparkling Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delila
Ack!! No! No!! Don't add nail polish remover to a bottle of polish!!!

Remover is designed to destroy polish, not thin it out.

Sorry to be so preachy, but I really hate the way that misinformation spreads around. (Milani used to have it on their bottles of polish, you'd think a polish company would know better, but I guess not. They seem to have only recently made the change. Sheesh.)

But on to the subject of finding actual thinner in stores IRL, the only places I've seen it have been actual beauty supply stores, or places like Trade Secret. (Not sure if Ulta carries it. ETA: It does, I saw Seche Restore there today) Sally's Beauty Supply stores are fairly common, and they do carry Beauty Secrets and Orly brand thinners.

I got a bottle of Seche Restore (the one Scrangie mentions for reviving dead polish, it's the one with toluene in it, the ingredient needed for this purpose.) at Trade Secret years ago, but haven't seen it IRL since then. Other nail polish thinners don't have toluene, so they don't work as well for reviving dead polish. (The issue really is that in recent years most companies have gone what they call 'big 3 free', which means they don't have some of the solvents that they used to use, and toluene is one of them. I'm not sure I understand the need for such a switch for every product out there, but apparently it's the modern trend. I do tend to get a bit exasperated when people ramble on about the evil of chemicals, without any working knowledge of science, but I guess that's a rant for another day, LOL!)

I've made a habit of shopping for polish online because it's pretty much the only way to get the colors/brands I want with any hope of dependability. The way I see it, the prices are so much lower that it offsets the cost of shipping, though I guess you do have to be careful where you shop.

I know that I REALLY shouldn't add nailpolish remover to nailpolish and haven't done that in years, but when I did it was my only choice when all my nailpolishes were unusable.

I tried to look for nail polish thinners but it seems they have absolutely none here. I didn't check the really expensive department store though. They might have some there. It seems this place hasn't even heard of nail polish thinners. I live in Finland and sadly those stores you mention can't be found here. So my nail polishes will have to wait a little bit and I'll have to use the ones that aren't so hardened yet.

And to another question: Are there matte nail polishes? Or maybe I should call them nail colours as the "polish" part does give the idea that they would add shine. I've seen some that say "matte" but I haven't found one that would differ much from the normal polishes. (I haven't had a very big budget though.)
I like having my nails done but I don't necessarily need them to look super glossy. I would rather have the look of slightly cloudy beige or a bit lighter than natural nails cream colour polish with the shine that nails normally have without polish, not the glass shine most polishes have.
Ocelan is offline   Reply With Quote