The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Fashion! (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Shoes for problem feet (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1057)

Sandie February 15th, 2008 10:22 PM

Not a specific shoe recommendation, however try www.footsmart.com . They have just about everything imagineable for any kind of problem foot.

kimberlily February 16th, 2008 10:33 AM

Ick. Birkenstocks. I know they're good for my feet, but I've never seen a pair of Birks that looked the least bit attractive to me. I'm more of a Mary Janes kind of gal ;)

Tigerdawn, I'll see if I can find those supports.

Sandie, I got my bunion splints from that merchant. I am wary of buying shoes online though, because it is such a PITA to send them back if the fit isn't right.

Katze February 19th, 2008 03:36 AM

...coming in late to this one...

I've got club feet (Tallipes deformity), extra super tiny feet AND the long second toe (foot size is a 35-37 metric, toe size can make me go up to a 38).

My feet hurt a lot and have for years, and I live for shoes that are comfortable all day.

My best recommendation is to find a BRAND that works for you. For me, Eccos are the best. No, they are not cheap, but my first pair lasted *3 full years* of living and walking in New York City, and 7 years later are old and battered but still wearable. Merrells can be OK, and some Skechers, but Eccos are far and wide the best shoes for my feet. The best Eccos are the 'receptor' line with heel stabilizer and metal lasts.

Other people I know with foot problems like Danskos, New Balance, Birkenstocks, Avia, and other 'health' shoes. Again, you should expect to pay around 100 $ for them, but most of these brands are built to last.

quidscribis February 19th, 2008 03:54 AM

I officially wish I lived in civilization. The only shoes available here are from Bata or the like (typically rubber flip flops or sandals with hard soles). Seriously uncomfortable and not good if you have problem feet or big feet. I wear a 42 (or 10 for North Americans), wide, and have bunions and a collagen defect that means that the bones in my feet subluxate and dislocate all the live long day (along with my other joints, but this is a thread about feet, so...) I would so love to get decent shoes.

But I did find Birkenstocks at one store here, and despite them not being at all attractive (to me), I bought a pair anyway. And that's what I wear the majority of the time since they're the only ones that don't cause more pain. *sigh*

kimberlily February 19th, 2008 10:00 AM

I'm going shoe shopping today. Hopefully I'll be able to find SOMETHING comfortable. I don't live near any stores that specialize in "comfort" shoes, but I'm going to hit Macy's since they have a pretty good selection, and apparently there's a new store in the mall that sells comfort shoes but they don't have a brand list on their website.

Abanilla_Surfer February 22nd, 2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberlily
I am wary of buying shoes online though, because it is such a PITA to send them back if the fit isn't right.

I hear you on that one. I'm a 43 in Spain and the standard stock in the stores stops at 41. I also have very narrow feet which means that even if I can find my size for length they just slip off. So for the last 5 months I've been living in men's trainers. I do have some dressey shoes that are okay if I go out for a meal but I couldn't wear them if were standing or walking. So I end up living in jeans so that my trainers don't look odd.

The other thing is that I know from many years of shoe shopping that 99.7% of everything I try won't fit and I'd be embarrassed about sending back everything I tried if the suppliers sizes didn't suit me.

eaglesflight February 26th, 2008 10:02 PM

I'm amazed to see people in this thread describing $75-80 shoes as low priced. In the past couple of years, I have realized that one may have to buy more expensive *fill in the blank* (just about every product, including shoes) than you can find in Wal*Mart and Family Dollar to get any kind of quality or lifespan out of the product. (Yes, I'm that cheap.)

Thus, my most recent acquisition in the shoe department came in the form of a trip to Kohl's and the purchase of a $55 pair of Reeboks. I felt like I was putting the downpayment on a car or something. I am an incurable cheapskate, so I just had to keep repeating to myself that spending more money now would save me money in the long run.

So, as $55 shoes go, I can't compare, but they hold up a lot better than the $10 pair of sneakers I got at Wal*Mart the time before. They're even staying white a lot longer. I also found that Reeboks fit my feet so much better than anything I could find at Payless or the WM. See, I have high arches, resulting in high bones in the tops of my feet. Normally one could buy shoes in wide widths to compensate, but my feet are wide (they look like squares), so in order to get shoes both wide and tall enough, I had to go up a size, or two...or three. My 8.5D feet would often be clomping around in 10D shoes. (D is the same as W, regular width shoes are C and regular narrow shoes are B. A shoes are extra narrow, E are extra wide. Then you get into the whole AA, EE business.)

It had gotten to the point where I was so used to wearing giant clown shoes that when I tried on the shoes I ended up buying, I almost couldn't bring myself to buy them, because also they were a perfect fit they seemed awfully constricting. But I kept feeling the end of my big toe from the outside with my finger and marveling that I was able to slip an 8.5D on my foot and not have my high foot bone stop the shoe. I mean, I would normally try on a pair of shoes that would fit me in every other dimension of my foot but they were so short in height that I could only fit my toes into the shoe.

Now I'm trying to convince my husband to start wearing shoes that fit him. He already has to buy the $75 Reebok shoes just to get a 13W that is wide enough to accomodate his 12EEE feet. He tells me he could not get used to having his toes constricted in a 12EEE shoe. I'm thinking he would be amazed at the difference, but so far it's not even debatable with him.

Kimberlily, I really hope you find a shoe that works for you. I couldn't imagine having severe foot pain with young children in the house.

Katze February 27th, 2008 05:27 AM

...as for price, it's worth it.

I have to have shoes that I can walk in - I like to walk despite my club feet, it's good for me - and cheap shoes just don't cut it. Those who can shop at cheap shoe stores are lucky, I guess, but the things probably still fall apart in a year or less.

$100 Eccos lasted me for over 5 years, they're about at the end of their lifespan but still wearable (just look shabby). Sadly the Receptor sole isn't something that I can get resoled (as Birkenstocks can be) so they are throwaway, at the end of the day, but worth it.

Just two cents from someone whose feet hurt almost every day.

kimberlily February 27th, 2008 12:00 PM

Eaglesflight, the most I've ever spent on shoes is $65, and that was for a fabulous pair of boots that I could not say no to (I haven't worn them in a year though, because they'll probably kill my feet now... my feet have gotten considerably worse since I bought them).

I'd be willing to shell out $100 (I only have $200/month to spend on myself) for a perfect pair of shoes that was cute, comfortable, supportive and would last, but I have yet to find anything like that. I'm interested in Soft Spots, which run around $85-90 and come in wider widths, but there's only one store locally that carries them, and it is hard for me to get there on the bus. There's always Zappos, with their free return shipping if they don't fit, but it isn't very convenient. I might just go for it anyway. I'm going to try going to the local place first though, if I can figure out how to get there and back before DD is off school (darn half-days!).

I did too much walking on Monday (about 7 miles) and my right foot hurt so much that I wanted to cry. It STILL HURT last night when I put lotion on. I want a foot transplant.

CryssieWillow February 29th, 2008 06:02 AM

Aw, I'm so sorry about that!

Ok, I am going with the unconventional suggestion but perhaps you should just forget about the shoes for a bit. You are a stay at home mom right? You live in California so you could be able just to go bare foot. It is essentially what our feet are made for. The most comfortable way to walk so to speak. If you lack callous just put on socks or something. Perhaps it will take some pressure of those bunions.
I also have weird feet. Narrow at the heels wide at the toes with a good arch and I once broke my left little toe so that one is bumpy and kinda movement impaired. And I have always had a hate-hate relationship with shoes. It is such a pain to find a comfortable pair.
In the summer I wear either an expensive pair of flipflops from the outdoor sports store, quality sandals and whenever I can I just kick them of and go barefoot. Sure, your feet get dirty, but I love it.
In the winter I wear my armyboots. They are not really cute but they are made to last and be comfortable once you walked them in. And I do have strong and healthy feet now.