The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Fashion! (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Do you have a signature scent? (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=562)

Dulci March 15th, 2007 12:54 PM

Do you have a signature scent?

Or do you switch scents with the seasons, or just wear whatever fragrance strikes your fancy that day? Or maybe you don't wear scent at all.

I haven't worn perfume for years, but recently I decided that I wanted a signature scent. So many of my childhood memories are tied to the perfumes my mother, my grandmother and my aunts wore. My mother skipped around a lot (she thought Tabu was trampy, and wore Youth Dew, Emeraude and Ma Griffe when I was little, Chanel No.5, L'Air du Temps and Anais Anais later; grandmother wore White Shoulders; my favorite aunt wore Joy.) I want my daughter to have scent memories of me. :happy:

Recently I started researching perfumes online and reading perfume blogs, then bought a 24-sample set of vintage, classic perfumes on eBay. So far, my favorites are Caron Tabac Blond and Chanel Cuir de Russie. I might have to buy big bottles of these. I also want to find something that's lighter and fresher for summer.

How about you, how do you feel about perfumes?

Calista March 15th, 2007 01:08 PM

I donīt often use perfume, but my scent is Tuscany per Donna by Aramis. It is so much a part of me, and I shanīt ever get tired of it.

In the summertime I sometimes use Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden.

Koala Kim March 15th, 2007 01:20 PM

When White Shoulders used to *smell* like White Shoulders- that was one one I wore all the time. If I was going to something at night ( a reception, a 1st date!) I might switch to Chanel No. 5.

Since White Shoulders no longer smells quite right :( I've been using perfume oils from Dragonfly Blue. Jade (which, while not smelling like WS somehow reminds me of it) & Mystic Gold (wonderful for your night time pleasures ;) ) are my two favorites.

Dulci March 15th, 2007 01:51 PM

KKim I know what you mean about the White Shoulders! I did some research on it, it used to be made by Lanvyn (sp?) but is now made by Elizabeth Arden. I still have what's left of a bottle of (now vintage) WS that I bought in the 80s. I like it a lot. :happy:

Calista, the Sunflowers sounds nice and summery. :grinhappy:

BBGrrl March 17th, 2007 02:56 PM

I wouldn't bother with perfume if I was single. My partner likes the smell of perfume so I use vanilla scents when I can find them. I also wear Be delisious (sp) by DKNY, it comes in an apple shape.

I wear any perfume that my partner likes and wants me to smell like. Personally if it were completely up to me I would only wear natural perfumes like amber and EO's.

Dulci March 18th, 2007 12:31 PM

BBGirl, I like the smell of amber too, it smells powdery to me.

pookatrina March 18th, 2007 09:29 PM

I have a few Escada perfumes I wear.

Peggy E. March 19th, 2007 12:25 PM

My parents were oddly into scent, with my mother big on perfumes and colognes, my father men's colognes and aftershaves. So I grew up with the idea you have lots of scents to match the mood of the moment, which is what I do.

I DO have a favorite, however, the one I must always have available when others are used up and not immediately replaced, this one is:

Allure, from Chanel

Running a very close second is Delice de Cartier, if it was only for the bottle, which is so beautiful and dresses up my humble dresser. But it is also a gorgeous scent on me, as a recent find (my dogs got it for me for Valentine's Day - I have VERY generous dogs! ;o)

For my birthday, the dogs got me Max Azria's BCBgirl's "Sexy" - a softer scent than the previous two. Again, I am so lucky to have such kind and generous dogs!

jessie58 March 20th, 2007 12:11 AM

Back in the day when I was a teen I used to wear Patchouli.

I have hated scents all my life. Some women make me gag with strong flowery perfumes. My eyes water, my nose gets blocked and my throat hurts when I come across certain scents.

My mother used to wear a lovely perfume too when I was a child, most of my life in fact. I forget the name of it but I don't think they make it any more.

In the last 5 years or so I have taken to wearing a dab of Patchouli again. My husband adores it. It drives him mad.

I remember following a woman around in a department store one day last year, she smelled so good I had to locate her and ask her what she was wearing. I forget what it was but I went to buy some, it was a cream and it smelled gross on me. *sigh*

Dulci March 20th, 2007 10:39 AM

Peggy E., you do have generous dogs! And that Delice de Cartier bottle is beautiful, very festive. :happy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie58
...I have hated scents all my life. Some women make me gag with strong flowery perfumes. My eyes water, my nose gets blocked and my throat hurts when I come across certain scents...

I know what you mean about the strong perfumes. My DH bought me a large bottle of Poison back in the 80s when we were dating, that stuff is horrid, a thick toxic cloud. :gurn: Come to think of it, so many of the 80s perfumes were loud and horrid.

And I like patchouli too, I don't care if people say it reminds them of dirty hippies.