The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Fashion! (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Plus Sizes (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=492)

moonchiald July 22nd, 2006 01:30 PM

Plus Sizes

I hate most plus sized clothes. Lane Bryant hangs on my like a sack.

I know others have the same problems. So post all of your favorite plus size stores. I know of a few websites but I have never found anything I like so post the ones you actually shop at. Thanks!

I just found a website that looks really nice. The clothes are a nice mixture of stylish without being frumpy or having necklines down the the navel. However the sizing chart is a little weird and I would wear a size or two larger than I actually do, so be careful. www.alight.com

If there are enough responses I will make a list of them in the first post for easy reference.

Calista July 22nd, 2006 04:18 PM

Depends on how plus-sized you need to go. Have you tried Gudrun Sjoden? Their clothes are quite unique.

Teacherbear July 22nd, 2006 11:21 PM

I bought plus sized clothes from Lane Bryant (which I pretty much stuck to foundations (bra/panties), The Avenue (which had some nice, more current styles), The Dress Barn (I never bought much there, but they *do* carry plus sizes), I love Cato (can't find a webpage, but I think they have one), Newport News (plus sized catalog), Delia's carries some plus sized junior clothing.

Personally, I went to the local Ross/ Marshall's/ TJMaxx stores every couple of weeks (we have several of each within 15 miles in any direction) to see what they had.

When I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (Texas), I would go to the Dillard's Clearance Center once or twice a year to see what they had. I got some FABULOUS bargains (Cole Haan boots for $25).

Other than that, the major department stores have plus sized lines (Dillard's, Foley's, Marshall Field's, Nordstrom's, JCPenney, Sears, Kohl's, even Target and Walmart). I prefer to not have to pay full price and I don't mind digging through racks or trying on dozens of items to find one or two that I love.

Hope that helps.

HairColoredHair July 23rd, 2006 07:54 PM

I've never found anything at Lane Bryant that fits properly either, though one pair of dress pants came close.

I like New York and Company currently, but it can be a bit hit or miss.

KeenKitty July 24th, 2006 11:55 AM

WOW! That Sjojen place was AWSOME! I have the most terrible time finding things that I love , that are comfortable and are colourful AND professional.

I usually get thrift store clothes and them hem, cut, tailor them onto my favorites.

I HATE HATE HATE that I can wear Lane Bryant Pants from the catalog but can never find a good fitting pants in the store. JC Penney seems to work well for me and Macy's.

Emichiee July 25th, 2006 10:50 AM

A friend of mine shops at old navy online I guess.
Also H&M has a brand called BiB (Big is beautiful) right? At least they did when I worked there. Their cloths looked good.

teela1978 August 31st, 2006 11:50 PM

I do a lot of old navy shopping, like emichee mentioned. They go up to a 20 in the store so it works for me, they do go bigger online though. Lane Bryant is great for bras, but I rarely find anything there I like either. Torrid sometimes has some decent items on occassion, but a most their stuff is a bit inappropriate.

I'll have to check out some of these links!

SunCat September 3rd, 2006 10:55 PM

Have you tried QVC.com I am not a plus size but I have a friend who is. I shop for clothes all the time on QVC what is nice about QVC is that no matter what size you are the prices are the same. My plus size friend, she is a 22, shopped there for the first time last week and she loves the pants and camp shirt she got and they fit perfectly. All of their clothing lines go from small to 3X.

Another nice thing about QVC is that once you find your size all the lines are cut the same so you always wear the same size.

Peggy E. March 19th, 2007 12:56 PM

Didn't see it mentioned and they have terrific plus-sized clothes, as well as "regular" and petite sizes: Clearwater Creek

There's a "high end" where the clothes are a bit higher, but their over-all fashions are very reasonably priced. Even the most expensive items are well priced stacked against comparable clothing. Also have jewelry and shoes, a few gift/housewares, a rather ecclectic mix!

They have a great website, plus snail catalogs which also contain coupons for discounts if you use their website to order. In addition, they have shops throughout the country. I can't recommend this company more highly!

Also, if you want to live in the most comfortable way imaginable - like me! - the caftans sold through the Smithsonian Museum online shop and catalog are great! I literally LIVE in these things. And they're some of the greatest bargains going - "members" find them in the $30-$40 range, "non-members" $40-$45.

Just thought I'd mention a couple of places I've always loved.

Euphony June 5th, 2007 02:42 PM

I tend to dress a bit <ahem> odd, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I've purchased 2 dresses (neither were for me sadly) from Holy Clothing both my step mother and mother-in-law adore their dress we purchased from there. I'm still looking for the perfect dress for me.

I ran across eShakti not long ago. I haven't ordered from them but plan to soon. You can order clothing custom made to your measurements from them, you can also change sleeves and length of shirts etc in their clothing. Their prices look fabulous!