The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Fashion! (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fashion vs Style (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=389)

wavebaby June 20th, 2006 07:23 AM

Fashion vs Style

:grinhappy: Do you consider yourself a "fashionista", or a 'style maven? ':happy:

I am defining fashion, as what is current, trendy, or considered to be "in-syle" for the moment.

I am defining style as personal style, your own sense of what you like and what you chose to wear.

I consider myself to be conscious of my own personal style, At 34, I know what i like, and what shapes & styles look good on me. I prefer a simple, classic style for my staples (on myself,) but funkied up with a few trendy pieces of the season. I like clothes with structure, and quality, but I love a fun scarf, jewellery, or sandal. for me, accessories are where I experiment or have some fun with trends. I love fashion, and to indulge, i might splurge on a piece that is cool, but not unwearable, (fashion changes, and the big purchase will be "so yesterdsy" in a few months...what a waste:grinhappy: ) I wouldn't buy say, a trendy coat, but a scarf that i can ewar as a belt, on my head or tied to a handbag...sure! (I have a funky Alexander Mac Queen skull scarf that I know won't be a staple, but it's fun right now! ) so I guess you could say that i lean towards personal style that is classic, with an accent on chic, but fun pieces. My moods change, so do my clothes.

I am interested to know where everyone stands as far as what we all like to wear. Funky fashionista? bohemian beauty?, classic chic? Whatever is clean?:lafhard:

Shell June 20th, 2006 09:24 AM

I guess I see myself as somewhere between bohemian beauty and classic chic (but not in the Channel suit way). I have seen a lot of trends come and go, and I think most people actually only look good in a couple of basic clothing shapes, most of which are not in style at any given moment.

I do like being in style, but not when it means I don't look good. At 42, I have mostly abandoned fashion, unless it suits me, hard to do in a fashion industry controlled by 20 somethings and created for teens.

I don't mind being a bit out of step--different drummer and all that. I know I look good, and that's all that matters.

wavebaby June 20th, 2006 01:27 PM

[quote]At 42, I have mostly abandoned fashion, unless it suits me,[ /QUOTE]

I love this statement!
At 34, i totally agree, I know what I like. There are usually a few things each season that appeal to me that are part of the "trend", but i think the key to wearing them, is making them "your own", or wearing them in unexpected ways, that tie in with your own style.:happy:

eiyela June 20th, 2006 01:31 PM

I'll be a fashionista, as long as I like the current fashion!:lafhard: Right now, I would rather die than be seen in some of the outfits that are 'in'.

And the way I dress tends to vary with the seasons. In the winter, I lean more towards the classic chic, while in the summer I'm more of a bohemian. It's the weather!

In winter, I always have to think about what I'm going to wear. How cold is it out today, is it snowing or raining, do I need my extra-thick mittens... So I automatically think more about the outfit as a whole.

In summer, I just throw on whatever I feel like for the day, maybe with a scarf or hat, and a pair of cute shoes. If it gets colder, all I need is a jacket anyway.

jeannie June 20th, 2006 01:44 PM

I have my own personal style, I know what looks good on me and I know how to accessorize. I developed my own style theories about five years ago based on the fact that I hate to shop and don't see the need for lots and lots of clothes that are hardly ever worn.

My wardrobe theory is that you choose a neutral or dark base (black, brown, navy, teal, green, etc. or any other color you can make work with a variety of different colors) Using my base color theory I can get away with two or three pairs of washable spring/summer pants and three or four dry cleanable fall/winter pants. Add a couple sweaters or blazers in your base color, or a complimentary bright and you're set.

I usually wear black as my base color, and accessorize by wearing brights or whites as a top or blouse. I can throw a silk scarf around my neck and add a nice pair of earrings, then go with as many or little necklaces and bracelets as I want. Viola!! stylish and very chicly put together.

My jewelry is usually silver, but I will throw in turqouise from time to time. I hate to spend money on trendy things only to have the item go out of style it seems like as soon as I buy it.

jeannie

summer-time June 20th, 2006 05:47 PM

I'm more personal style than trendy, although I do wear some trendy things but that is because it fits my body type better.

I only wear lowrise jeans with a 34 inseam. I am 5'1 but have a short torso and long legs, classic style jeans are to high for me.

I wear baby t's and tops with hoodies in the cooler months, and tanks/halters in the summer months.

My colors are black, purple, dark blues, gray's with a few lighter neutral colors.

I'm kind of finicky with clothing styles, so its difficult to find things I like sometimes.

HairColoredHair June 20th, 2006 07:06 PM

I have no call to fashion, so I just wear what I like.

Dark colors and black/white make up the majority of my wardrobe, which is business casual with punk accents. :happy:

And the boots. Always boots. Hiking/cowboy/combat, it doesn't matter. Boots! :whoohoo:

golden_gal June 21st, 2006 08:54 AM

I think I'm more about my own style. Everytime I try out a new fashion, it usually looks really weird on me and I end up not liking it. Hence, I'd rather stick to my own style...

LittleFlower June 21st, 2006 10:11 AM

I think my style is eclectic :D I have a staple diet of jeans and logo/solid coloured tees with the occasional semi-bohemian skirt, asian-inspired top or floaty dress thrown in.

naj June 21st, 2006 10:37 AM

I would put myself into the "Classic personal style" slot. I pick and choose what i like from the current fashion trend and incorporate that into what suits me best. Fashion is very different in India from what it might be in western countries. Mine is a quite conservative family where we are not allowed to show too much skin. So if i like some style which is too skimpy, i either take up the material, the print or something form it which i like and make it my own in my classic styles. But ist hair i could never be fashionable or stylish with. Il ove to be stylish with hair. But im starting to learn some good hairdos and cute hairtoys to dazzle off my LHC groomed hair!
But im traditional to the core(the lovely work sarees and rich fabrics of India...anyone seen the movie Devdas will know).I love Indian dressing traditions and also absilutely LOVE the Western white wedding gown and the Victorian corsets and flaring skirts etc..There's so much beauty in those styles...i love to live in that era...
Sorry for going off topic.
I love Indian style basically and picka nd choose stuff from the current fashion and make it my own in my own way.
Here's a pic of Aishwarya Rai is what i can describe as the perfect portraying of Indian style and traditional clothing.Please have a look:
http://www.hindustanlink.com/bollywood/devdas-wall2.jpg
Hope you like it!
Naj
ETA: A few more very good pics:
http://www.aishwaryarai.com/devdas/devdas3.jpg
http://www.unreel.co.uk/reviews/d/Devdas/7.jpg

wavebaby June 21st, 2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naj
I would put myself into the "Classic personal style" slot. I pick and choose what i like from the current fashion trend and incorporate that into what suits me best. Fashion is very different in India from what it might be in western countries. Mine is a quite conservative family where we are not allowed to show too much skin. So if i like some style which is too skimpy, i either take up the material, the print or something form it which i like and make it my own in my classic styles. But ist hair i could never be fashionable or stylish with. Il ove to be stylish with hair. But im starting to learn some good hairdos and cute hairtoys to dazzle off my LHC groomed hair!
But im traditional to the core(the lovely work sarees and rich fabrics of India...anyone seen the movie Devdas will know).I love Indian dressing traditions and also absilutely LOVE the Western white wedding gown and the Victorian corsets and flaring skirts etc..There's so much beauty in those styles...i love to live in that era...
Sorry for going off topic.
I love Indian style basically and picka nd choose stuff from the current fashion and make it my own in my own way.
Here's a pic of Aishwarya Rai is what i can describe as the perfect portraying of Indian style and traditional clothing.Please have a look:
http://www.hindustanlink.com/bollywood/devdas-wall2.jpg
Hope you like it!
Naj
ETA: A few more very good pics:
http://www.aishwaryarai.com/devdas/devdas3.jpg
http://www.unreel.co.uk/reviews/d/Devdas/7.jpg

I think Aishwarya Rai is just stunning! I have seen her in many Bollywood films. I think sarees are absolutely gorgeous, and I am envious that i can't get away with wearing them ...not being Indian, i'd probably get some strange looks!:happy: . My friend from work went home to India last year, and brought me a jewelled elephant, and a beutiful bindi. You should have seen the stares when i proudly wore my bindi the next day! I didn't care, it was gorgeous!:grinhappy:

SunCat June 21st, 2006 10:20 PM

I do my own personal style. I wear whatever I like which is usually something neutral on the bottom mostly black, navy, brown and khaki and jazz it up with tops and jewelry, I love jewelry I usually wear gold but lately I have been mixing white gold with my yellow gold and stainless steel I also have been wearing brass and copper pieces lately too with some silver thrown in. I just buy what I like and don't worry about what is in at the moment, I am too old for that :gurn: I am eclectic in my personal style.

I love my Birkenstocks and my Crocs :grinhappy:

naj June 22nd, 2006 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wavebaby
think Aishwarya Rai is just stunning! I have seen her in many Bollywood films. I think sarees are absolutely gorgeous, and I am envious that i can't get away with wearing them ...not being Indian, i'd peobably get some strange looks!:happy: . My friend from work went home to India last year, and brought me a jewelled elephant, and a beutiful bindi. You shouyld have seen the stares when i proudly wore my bindi the next day! I didn't care, it was gorgeous!:grinhappy:
I agree with you wavebaby that Aishwarya is stunning but there are many more gorgeously gorgepus Indian women you havent seen.
Saree is 'the most' beautiful garment i think.Its absolutely elegent and very graceful. And anyone would look good in a saree, not necessary you have to be Indian. You just need to select the right colour and texture. There are soo many Indians who are as fair as Europeans or Americans and they do look fabulous with sarees. So remove from your mind that saress ar Indian....
Some good links of beautiful women in saree:(these are gorgeous and a must see)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/...bira_sush1.jpg (Sush)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/...abira_lara.jpg (Lara Dutta)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/sari/sabira_ash1.jpg (Aishwarya)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/...abira_ash2.jpg (Aishwarya)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/sari/sabira_blair.jpg (Cherie Blair)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/..._lizhurley.jpg (Elizabeth Hurley)
http://www.sabira.in/images/zardosi/sari/sabira_lizhurleysari.jpg (Elizabeth Hurley)

I think its great that you are bold enough to wear what you like and not bother what other people think about it. Way to go wavebaby...:grinhappy:
Sorry for the hijack :purplex: ..
Naj

wavebaby June 22nd, 2006 06:49 AM

Thanks for the links, Naj! Wow, Elizabeth Hurley looks great in that beautiful pink & gold saree! i agree with you 100% about teh sarees being so elegant, and those fabrics!:happy:

naj June 22nd, 2006 09:04 AM

You are most welcome wavebaby ! Im proud of my national attire and also of our Indian beauties.
Im happy you liked the pics and i agree Elizabeth Hurley is looking gorgeous...You too will if you please!! So go ahead and grab one.:happy:
Naj

kimberlily June 22nd, 2006 11:06 AM

Definitely personal style here. I love to wear bohemian skirts, but it isn't realistic when I've got a baby trying to climb them :lol: Right now, I'm living in capris (or shorts sometimes) and tank tops with sandals. I love dresses, but as a stay at home mom, they're just not practical.

I so rarely buy what is in fashion. Partly because I don't like the styles, partly because I don't feel comfortable wearing it, but mostly because I don't have a lot of cash to throw away on something that will go in the trash in 6 months.

Caldonia Sun June 22nd, 2006 08:10 PM

Naj,

I was in Toronto, Canada a few years ago. There was an Indian couple getting married at the hotel. I sat in awe watching the women guests coming in. They were all dressed in saris and were just gorgeous. The fabrics, the colors, the jewelry. They truly were stunning. I have to admit, I was jealous. American women have a certain style, but we don't have an "ethnic" dress that really brings out our beauty like the traditional Indian dress does for their women.

Was Aishwarya the girl in Bride & Predjudice? She is lovely. So was the girl from Monsoon Wedding.

naj June 23rd, 2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Caldonia Sun
Was Aishwarya the girl in Bride & Predjudice? She is lovely. So was the girl from Monsoon Wedding.
Yes she was Aishwarya.
Naj

wavebaby June 23rd, 2006 01:24 PM

Now that I seem to be stuck in saree-mode:happy: my friend at work wore a stunning one (we had a "celebrate your heritage" day ) and I couldn't get over the gorgors fabric and the rich colors, and the jewellery! all that gold & gems! one of her necklaces had a huge crystal...i assumed it was a crystal....pendant, turns out the thing was a real diamond ! She said she feels completely safe wearing it because everyone naturally assumes, as I did, that it is fake.
Man, gorgeous jewellery & gorgeous sarees...i think i'd adjust very well in India!:whoohoo:

(let's not go there with the food either.... chicken masala, butter chicken, byriani...getting hungry now! )

avery June 24th, 2006 08:24 AM

To have true style one needs self confidence, intuition, grace, creativity and flare.

Fashion just needs a credit card, IMO. :innocent:

katkero June 24th, 2006 08:39 AM

I'm not a fashiongirl, I wear my own style.
I like long flowing skirts and I don't get to wear them often enough (not practical for biking).

naj June 24th, 2006 09:06 AM

Oh wavebaby, now you are really craving for Indian culture. Why dont you visit India this year or get an Indian friend to help you with a saree? I see you seem to be smitten with the saree bug:lafhard: !
And food???I guess thats one thing that can make anyone's mouth water...and the rosogulla, rasmalai, palak paneer, chilli chicken???Now im hungry too!:happy:
Naj

Dulci June 24th, 2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avery
To have true style one needs self confidence, intuition, grace, creativity and flare.

Fashion just needs a credit card, IMO. :innocent:

Good one! :happy:

naj June 24th, 2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by avery

Fashion just needs a credit card, IMO.
:innocent:
I second Dulci, its a very good one! Well thought out statement.:grinhappy:
Naj

Medievalsilver July 17th, 2006 10:12 PM

I have my own style, I was taught to very modest, so these days it's hard to find clothes that I like. I love medieval, western and country clothes, I wear long shorts, classic jeans(that come up past hip length), I have a pair of Laredos and a beret. But I would love to get some medieval clothing. My favorite pair of jeans is Wranglers. But I also have a very business like style with a few suits and clean lined shirts.

Emichiee July 25th, 2006 10:55 AM

Im not a fashionista but usually still wear whats in since its the kind of cloths you can buy at the moment.
But I dont wear verything trendy, I just pick out the things I like and combine them with all time favourites and personal style.
I just love wearing some things that are not fashion at all and mix them with fashionable pieces.

futurehope September 28th, 2006 11:32 PM

I definately have my own personal style. I buy whatever grabs my attention. I have no concerns about weather it is only here for this season or not. If it goes out of style, I will still wear it because I love it and picked it out.

I cannot really tell what my own personal style is. I really prefer winter clothes over summer.

It takes me a long time to find something I like, I am very picky & just don't pick up anything, it really has to grab and tug at me.

It seem to be drawn to things that are different, but not in a bad way. Right now, I am wearing a medium green shirt with a deep v-neck in the front & back. There is a round beauty piece right below the front V that has tiny little shells of all sorts of colors and it outlined in a small chain and beads. It also has brown stiching along the V. It is very pretty. Under this shirt, I am wearing just a plain brown seamless shirt.

I love boots and my black and brown jeans & my belts. My socks always match my shirt.

I dare to be different, but in a good kind of way.

Equeena October 8th, 2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naj
Oh wavebaby, now you are really craving for Indian culture. Why dont you visit India this year or get an Indian friend to help you with a saree? I see you seem to be smitten with the saree bug:lafhard: !
And food???I guess thats one thing that can make anyone's mouth water...and the rosogulla, rasmalai, palak paneer, chilli chicken???Now im hungry too!:happy:
Naj

I have always loved sarees!
There is also the best Indian restaurant near me where I end up going a lot.

Next summer my family and I are planning on going to India so I am really excited!!

Carolyn October 14th, 2006 02:36 PM

I've always loved fashion but I think I have my own personal style. I like to follow some of the trendy things. Accessories are my favorites. I love shoes and bags and jewelry. Cute tops are always good too. I'm really loving the Boho look now. I'll hate to see it go. I can also do classic chic very well too. It depends on the occasion for what I choose. Black is my favorite color to wear. I don't think you can ever go wrong with black. There are some things that come "in" that I just can't do. Crocs are one of them. Sorry to whoever mentioned them.

Right now since I'm not working my style is jeans or capri's and cute tops or little thin sweater sets for winter. Shoes are sandals or slides. And they are always cute. My bags are always coordinate with my outfit and are always trendy and cute. I have a terrible time finding coats and jackets that don't look dowdy.

Dowdiness and frumpiness is alive and well where I live. I live in fear of being in that category. I probably try too hard not to be dowdy but I enjoy clothes and fashion.

Steficurls October 22nd, 2006 12:10 PM

I am pretty into fashion, I guess...but correct fit and personal style are also important to me. For example, "skinny" jeans are back in style now. You will never catch me wearing them...I have wide hips and thinner legs...that trend just won't work for me! :lafhard:

I tend to like classic things, mixed with trendy items. For exampke, I might pair a dark-washed bootcut jean with pointy toes heels/boots, a classic v-neck sweater, a classic peacoat, and trendy jewelry to accessorize.

I think that fashion/style is all about finding what looks good on a person AND makes them feel good.