The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Skin Care (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Suggest an alternative to leg shaving (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=322)

Thumper June 16th, 2006 06:25 AM

Suggest an alternative to leg shaving

Not sure if this is the right area to post.

I would love to hear suggestions for an alternative to leg shaving, which I hate! I'm ok on those epilady things, mind you the pain in some areas is quite annoying. I've had my legs waxed once at a salon and it was difficult. The technician had to go over the same area a few times and she told me that my hair folicals where really thick and tuff to pull out. Then I had a bad reaction afterwards and got those tiny bumps everywhere. Mind you that was about 10 years ago, things might have improved. So I'm not sure I want to attempt a home waxing kit. Those nair/neat products stink, like the shower curtain is burning, except I think it's the smell of my flesh burning, and why does the product (which starts as a white cream) turn purple when you add water to it?

What do you say ladies (or perhaps some men..?)

And while I am here.....is this -------> :parp: a fart?

wavebaby June 16th, 2006 06:40 AM

I am a regular shaver and semi- regular salon waxer myself. I tried neet/nair once, and as you mentioned, P-U! No thanks.

Elerxia June 16th, 2006 07:20 AM

Have you tried another salon treatment called "stringing"? It works a bit like an epilady as it just pulls the hair follicle out very fast, it's just done with a simple string - pretty neat to see! I've only had this done on my face, and I can't speak for other parts of the body.. But when I had it done it lasted for a respectable time.

:)

kissme June 16th, 2006 07:24 AM

try sugaring perhaps? though it may be a bit messy, but the results are considerably good, and inexpensive too. :grinhappy:

LittleFlower June 16th, 2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elerxia
Have you tried another salon treatment called "stringing"? It works a bit like an epilady as it just pulls the hair follicle out very fast, it's just done with a simple string - pretty neat to see! I've only had this done on my face, and I can't speak for other parts of the body.. But when I had it done it lasted for a respectable time.

:)

Where I am it's called threading :) And I agree, it's a good method of hair removal and doesn't hurt much more than waxing does.

eiyela June 16th, 2006 07:38 AM

I think threading hurts less than wax, actually, but waxing has the benefit of only a large dose of quick pain. Threading takes longer, and is generally used on smaller surfaces. You could try the sugaring kissme suggested too, it's about the same as waxing. Except the cleanup in much easier than one of those at-home waxing kits.

Ursula June 16th, 2006 07:39 AM

You could always just do nothing.

In the winter, I rarely bother to shave - I'm wearing long pants, and no one sees my legs. I also tend to wear long skirts, summer and winter, so my legs are covered then, as well. On the odd occasion I wear shorts or a shorter skirt, I either don't bother (and it's no one's business), or I give my legs a quick once-over with an electric razor, which is fast and painless.

Kuchen June 16th, 2006 07:45 AM

Try waxing again, or use an epilady for a while so that the hairs grow back more fine, and are easier to wax.
I'm going over to waxing; someone else can take responsibility for my leg hair removal! I can't be bothered any more...

Dulci June 16th, 2006 09:14 AM

Veet

The past couple months I've used Veet, it smells almost pleasant, not at all like Nair. It comes with a bladeless razor, you scrape the gelcream off after only 3 minutes. Easy!

5of10 June 16th, 2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursula
You could always just do nothing.

In the winter, I rarely bother to shave - I'm wearing long pants, and no one sees my legs. I also tend to wear long skirts, summer and winter, so my legs are covered then, as well. On the odd occasion I wear shorts or a shorter skirt, I either don't bother (and it's no one's business), or I give my legs a quick once-over with an electric razor, which is fast and painless.

This is what I do as well, pants and long skirts. I usually end up using the electric razor once a month in the winter and a bit more often in the summer.
:frogface: :frog: :robin: