The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Skin Care (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favourite Ingredients for Homemade Body Butters (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=3284)

Kaydana January 1st, 2013 07:50 AM

Favourite Ingredients for Homemade Body Butters

I've decided that this year I'm going to use up or get rid of the box of various lotions and creams and butters I have lying around and start making my own.

I've found lots of recipes, too many, and now I can't decide which oils to use to make it. If anyone here makes there own and has preferences towards particular oils (both the solid and liquid ones, I've researched myself into confusion) I'd really appreciate some opinions. :)

CaityBear January 3rd, 2013 08:52 PM

I like coconut oil in body butter partially just because it helps make the texture really nice. lol I can't really give much advice though. I haven't made too many body butters (still in the process of using up the butters and lotions that I have)

Natalia January 4th, 2013 01:36 AM

i like cocoa butter and coconut oil in mine. I have a latex sensitivity so i cant use shea on that big a scale but i dont mind as it tends to get grainy when it gets to warm and im in so-cal so that happens alot. kpnagn butter is nice and lower in latex still gets grainy but not as bad as shea.

I tend to make mine more salvish than butterish because im too lazy to sanitize the mixer :p.

Kaydana January 9th, 2013 03:50 PM

I went for shea butter (it was cheaper than the cocoa butter and I don't have a latex allergy or live in a hot place, so no issues there. From what I've read it is is good for eczema and I'm always willing to try new things to fix that) and coconut oil (which I already had) with apricot kernel oil for the liquid part of it because it's nice and light and I was going to order it anyway so it kept the order nice and small. Whipped it all up together and I already love it! Feels really rich and creamy.

Natalia January 9th, 2013 07:10 PM

Thats great! Your making me envious i havent whipped anything up in a while im getting the itch....

Kaydana January 10th, 2013 05:18 AM

I've decided the trick is to mix up a really small amount so I'll run out quickly and get to make more! There's nothing I love more than mixing up some potion or other, and if this turns out to be better for my skin than stuff I can buy (which I strongly suspect it will, the eczema patches are starting to feel better already and I've only been using the shea butter for 24 hours), then I think I might have found the perfect solution!

Natalia January 10th, 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaydana
I've decided the trick is to mix up a really small amount so I'll run out quickly and get to make more! There's nothing I love more than mixing up some potion or other, and if this turns out to be better for my skin than stuff I can buy (which I strongly suspect it will, the eczema patches are starting to feel better already and I've only been using the shea butter for 24 hours), then I think I might have found the perfect solution!

Yay! Isnt tinkering awesome?

Aredhel77 January 11th, 2013 12:24 PM

I have some mango butter to use up, which has a similar profile to shea....maybe I need to whip it up with a lighter oil lol.