The Beauty Bottle

The Beauty Bottle (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/index.php)
-   Make-up (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Glasses and make-up (http://forums.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=3188)

biogirl87 October 26th, 2012 04:26 PM

Glasses and make-up

Ladies, I'm hoping for some help/advice here. I'm just now approaching my mid-twenties and am still at the age when people experiment with make-up more. But I haven't really experimented with make-up since I started wearing make-up late in college (about five years ago) and I wear glasses almost all the time. I don't want this to stop me from experimenting with make-up to really find out what works for me and what doesn't. So, do you those of you who wear glasses play around with make-up and in what ways? Do you play around with eyeshadow, nail polish, or in other ways? Please share. Thank you.

Libbylou October 26th, 2012 05:25 PM

I'm an old woman and I still like to play with makeup. I have only worn glasses the past few years. I usually wear lots of mascara so my eyes still stand out. Mineral foundation,blush that is also lip tint.

Delila October 26th, 2012 07:55 PM

I do still play with makeup. Don't actually wear it much since my life is kind of in a stay-at-home-all-the-time rut, but when things get livelier I do like to play with eye makeup and look more refreshed.

I like using colors in eyeliner, it's possible to do it without it being garish or childish, so I really have fun with it. I like using shadow as a liner, the products they make to help with that really do work.

Day to day, though, nail polish is my one consistent habit. I seem to have revived my love of color lately, after a long stretch wearing nothing but reds, oranges, sheers, whites, even french manicures.

Today I'm wearing a nice robin's egg blue. May top it with some glitter later, but I can't make up my mind.

spookyghost October 26th, 2012 08:16 PM

My problem is that I am so blind that I need my contacts to put my make-up on! Take yesterday for instance...my contacts really bothered me when I put them in so I had to take them out. I cant see far or close. If my face is right up on the mirror I can see a little but my face is on the mirror! So very hard to actually PUT my make up on. So I dont care how much my contacts are bothering me I have to put them in long enough to put my make-up on and then I take them out and put my glasses on.

If I were you I would put more make up on so it can be seen behind your glasses. I know quite a few women who wear glasses but I can see their make up and it looks great.

.Amanaka. October 26th, 2012 08:56 PM

I wear glasses every day. It's weird, I realized recently that I don't like the way that my face looks when I am not wearing them.

Anyway, I tend to emphasize my lips and do a neutral eye most of the time, though there are times that I go for a colored shadow. My normal everyday eye look is the Maybelline Color Tattoo eye shadow in Bad to the Bronze, and then a lot of mascara. It makes my eyes look defined, and really makes my blue eyes pop, but I don't feel 'overdone' when I put on red lipstick. Which I love. I'm a big fan of anything in the bronzy-beigey-taupey-brown family, but that may just be because I am boring and don't really know how to apply makeup, even though I spend my life watching beauty guru's on YouTube.

Angelistarr October 26th, 2012 10:11 PM

If and when I wear makeup, I love emphasizing my eyes. I have a high prescription so my eyes tend to look chinky behind the glass. With my contacts ill wear some liner tho. With the glasses I emphasize my lips. I don't ever see my eye makeup being noticeable behind glasses so I tend not to bother

Shermie Girl October 26th, 2012 11:40 PM

I wear glasses and eye makeup. I wear a bit more eye makeup when I am wearing my glasses and I have found that a little more smokey eye looks and liner are really helpful in making my eyes stand out a bit more when I have my glasses on. I always apply liner to my upper lash line and I normally tightline as well. That makes my lashes look thicker and helps my eyes stand out a bit more. Plenty of mascara helps, too. Well defined brows is always good.

The usual makeup rule (not that I am big on following beauty rules) is neutral eye, bold lip or bold eye, neutral lip. But with glasses, you can get away with more eye makeup and a bolder lip. Just be sure that they don't fight each other or your glasses.

biogirl87 October 27th, 2012 12:09 AM

Thank you ladies for your replies. I kind of guessed a lot of would come down to playing around with nail polish. Normally for day makeup I like to go for the natural look which seemingly limits eye make-up choices (maybe I haven't played around with eye make-up to decide if colors look good on me and if they're not overpowering).

Lip color is one of those where bright or dark red lip stick doesn't look on me unless I really wet my lips a lot before applying it.

LadyHeather October 29th, 2012 11:40 AM

I usually do bold eyes or bright eyes, and neutral lips. I wear glasses all the time.

When I switch to bright red lipstick, I just use neutral/skintone eyeshadow with black liquid liner on the top lid, black kohl on the lower lid and black mascara on the top lashes.

JamieLeigh October 30th, 2012 06:00 PM

I'm another who wears glasses all the time. I have 2 pairs I alternate between with the same prescription - one with thick, dark plastic frames in tortoiseshell and one with thin, wire frames in dark purple - and I love eye makeup. I don't usually wear foundation or powder and I don't think I have ever worn rouge, but I do like eye makeup and tinted lip-gloss. :)

Like the others have said, I also do bold eyes and neutral lips. I like to save the heavy liners and darker eye makeup for when I'm wearing my plastic frames, as it can look like a bit much with the smaller wire frames.